I Bit the Bullet

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 20", 2.4ghz, 2GB/320GB
Alright everyone,

I just ordered my first iMac over the telephone and the lady gave me a $60 discount! WooHoo! I asked her about the 30-day free upgrade for Leopard and she said that was only a rumor. But, I suppose they have to say that. She offered me the discount as soon as I said "Ok, thanks for answering my questions, but I think I will wait until tomorrow to place my order." haha. It's kind of funny what a measly $60 discount will do for an order.

Ships by: Sep 12 - Sep 14
Delivers by: Sep 20 - Sep 26

I am soo excited. I think I was getting a tad obsessed over it, but now I can calm down and count down the days.

I also decided to get the APP even though it was $199CDN. I decided the $60 discount made up for the extra $75.

I'm going to run down to Future Shop today to grab 1 more gig of RAM as they have Kingston on sale for $70.

Thanks to all of you for helping me out, I had a really tough time deciding on my specs to get.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | iMac(2.1 G5) | MacBook(2.16 C2D) | MacMini (1.67 CD) | iPhone 4 | iPad (3rd Gen)
Wow. That's great! What are the specs.?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Studio, M1 Max, 32 GB RAM, 2 TB SSD
Great news. Discounts on Macs are pretty rare. I didn't think Apple allowed them. So vendors usually include other items and give you the discount on them. For example, if you buy extra memory or some such, you will get a break there. That is pretty much what happened when I bought this machine. I upped the RAM to 2.5 GB and got a nice discount on the RAM... but the Mac itself was full price.

Is this perhaps what happened in your case?

Reaction score
my local Mac store actually quoted me $1 more than what I can get the system from the Apple website! the silly sales assistant even said, "Oh, and I have discounted the RAM" turned out that the RAM price was the same as the online store and APP was $1 more in the Shop than the website! hmmmm

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.16 Core 2 Duo, 160GB HD, 2gb RAM, Black Macbook | iPhone | OS X Leopard
You can do that with a lot of stuff(get dicounts just by bargaining over the phone).

For instance, with my cable service, my dad called them to tell them were switching to satellite, and they gave us HBO, Showtime, the On Demand channels, and ESPN HD all for 2 dollars LESS than we were paying before.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2GHz/2GB/CD
You can do that with a lot of stuff(get dicounts just by bargaining over the phone).

For instance, with my cable service, my dad called them to tell them were switching to satellite, and they gave us HBO, Showtime, the On Demand channels, and ESPN HD all for 2 dollars LESS than we were paying before.

Instead of getting more channels, we get a significant price drop in the cable bill. Just tell them you're considering switching to Direct TV, they'll do almost anything to keep you. This works everytime, every 6 or 12 months after their offer expires.

OP
smallvillefan
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
My specs are: iMac 20", 2.4 ghz, 320gb hd, 1gb of RAM.

I specifically asked what the discount was for and she said it was because she wanted me to buy it today, not tomorrow. Likely for risk of me maybe never, ever getting one (which could have happened), but the $60 discount really ended up sucking me into buying it today.

I was entering in my request online at the same time as I was on the phone, so I could keep tabs on my total--and it really WAS a $60 discount. I opted AGAINST the free printer, because I'd have to pay for it first. --- btw, what do you all think about that? I already have an HP all-in-one printer I can use, except I need more ink.

That's really neat about the cable guys... I'll have to give that one a try.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2GHz/2GB/CD
Definitely try the cable thing... you're wasting money as we speak! We've been doing it for years now... I feel like they know, but whatever :)

OP
smallvillefan
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
hahaha. I will try to get DV-R at no extra cost! THAT'S what I really want!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D, 2Ghz, 2 GB RAM, 120 GB HD, ipod nano 8GB, 500GB MyBook
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
imac 20" 216 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo processor, 1GBSDRAM, 250 GB hd, Airport Extreme, Bluetooth 2.0
Same here too! I've been shopping and comparing my DishNetwork to Directv. I think Directv is more expensive but they do have more HD channels and we're looking for a new TV and want to switch to HD.

Anyway, I'm off topic here. But nice to know I can haggle on the price.

Thanks for that tip! :D

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.