Annoying things in Mac OS X

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP, 15 inch, 2.3 C2D
I was, like most people, a Windows user till I bought a MacBook Pro in January and haven't used Windows XP more than a couple of times since then, as what they say about Mac OS X really is true, once you get used to it makes you wonder why you ever used Windows.

So, I've been using Mac OS X the last several months and happened to try Vista and opened up IE to do some web browsing -- that's when immediately i noticed something -- IE is better than Safari, JUMPIN' JEHOSEFATS even Firefox is better than Safari.

To open a new tab in safari, right click, new tab -- in IE (firefox too) just click to make a tab -

When clicking on address bar once in IE or firefox, you can just start typing a new URL while in Safari .... WHERE IN THE WORLD IS CARMEN SANDIEGO? You have to delete the COTTON PICKIN' whole url manually.

We all know the flash issues with Safari, but these two seemingly minor issues really stand out when used repeatedly, and I felt more productive in IE ... Apple should just be logical and redesign Safari to incorporate those two things .. certainly not very difficult to do !

So, Safari is a mediocre browser. Do something about it Apple, not boast about Safari 3 with the same limitations !

Another annoying thing -- the .Mac service must be the buggiest thing ever -- its like i get the spinning beach ball all the time when accessing idisk and just seems not right , not smooth somehow, and prone to crash.

Mail -- no return receipt?? What's up with that ?

Those are my gripes, at least what I cant remember now, anyone else have the same experience or just get used to it ?

I'm all for productivity, even if it means 'borrowing' some ideas from other places -- add cut functionality in Finder ! Finder also needs more work -- the iTunes-like Finder and cover flow feature in Leopard also seem superfluous and unnecessary, who's really going to flip through documents with cover flow in Finder? Like hello ?

It's time Apple sit down and rethink the whole OS for the future, upgrade and refresh it, aqua and metal still have their charms but new vision is needed, the question is, does Apple have what it takes to blow us away with a really NEW up to bottom OS ?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black macbook 2.16ghz 2GB Ram 160GB hdd | 8Gb Ipod Nano
you can get firefox for macintosh, that is what im using now. You can also get thunderbird for mac (email client) so you are not forced to use safari and the mac email client

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score
looks like your gripes are with applications and services, not OS X. and some of those aren't totally justified.
looks like the one problem you had with OS X itself was that the future version of finder had too many features. if that's a problem, i'm sure i can dig up an old copy of windows 3.1 for you. ;)

i like safari personally.

to address your issues:
open a new tab: command+t
highlight the whole address: click the icon to the left and then start typing (or copy, or paste, etc).
and i'm not sure what flash issues you're having with safari, i haven't had any, and i visit a number of flash heavy sites including mostly game sites and car manufacturer sites.

Reaction score
IE just got better with Vista...or Explorer 7 which totally copied Firefox. If you ask me I wouldn't use anything but Opera...it is simply the best browser on this earth whoever says what!

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score
looks like firefox wasn't smart enough to keep you from posting this exact same post in two separate forums. ;)

[originally posted in separate thread]

OP
R
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP, 15 inch, 2.3 C2D
Hmmmm .. is cross posting illegal ? Not used to forums ... btw I get Safari's keyboard shortcuts to open tabs, but why not just 1 click, open tab, not awkward mouse/keyboard combos .. in the end I'd like to see Safari improved !
Oh, is it me or does Leopard's new desktop just look .. sick.

I love Tiger as an OS, with minor glitches, but Leopard's dock looks corny compared to Tiger -- oh well ..

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
i7 iMac; 8gb DDR3 ram; ati mobility 4850; 1tb seagate harddrive @7200rpm
To open a new tab in safari, right click, new tab -- in IE (firefox too) just click to make a tab -
You can do the same thing in safari. Right click > open in new tab. But honestly apple-clicking that is faster than right clicking then going through the drop down menu for me, especially considering I'm holding down the apple button almost all the time for zooming in and out.
And also for me, I don't even like tabs. My screen's big enough, so I just use multiple windows.

When clicking on address bar once in IE or firefox, you can just start typing a new URL while in Safari .... what the ****? You have to delete the **** whole url manually.
No you don't. You just click on the icon and it automatically highlights the whole url, then you can start typing. Same thing, one click.

Honestly those complaints were so trivial.

It's time Apple sit down and rethink the whole OS for the future, upgrade and refresh it, aqua and metal still have their charms but new vision is needed, the question is, does Apple have what it takes to blow us away with a really NEW up to bottom OS ?
I myself personally didn't like the brushed metal look after too long, so I got a little nifty program called Uno, which takes away the brushed metal. Not to mention shapefhifter can give you endless themes. But I myself think shapeshifter is a second rate program, it has many holes with unrecognized programs.

OP
R
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP, 15 inch, 2.3 C2D
Just shows how good Macs are and there's so little to criticize ! That's why little things stand out ...

Never tried Uno, is there a chance it makes Safari unstable?

M

MacHeadCase

Yes it is:

2. Posting Ettiquette: Please use descriptive titles, use search before posting, keep threads on topic, and don't cross-post. Please do not hotlink to images unless it is from your own webhosting or you have the permission of the domain you're taking it from. Please, do not post personal information such as addresses phone numbers, ID numbers, or any other private info.

looks like firefox wasn't smart enough to keep you from posting this exact same post in two separate forums. ;)

LOL :D

OP
R
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP, 15 inch, 2.3 C2D
Hey Uno looks like my theme for Firefox on Mac .. except the theme is called Grapple Eos .. looks just like it ! See attached ..

View attachment Picture 1.pdf

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook, Black, 2.0GHz C2D, 2GB RAMs, 160GB HD
Not sure if this was mentioned or not...

But to highlight the whole address on the address bar, Apple+L no mouse clicking or anything.

Works like a charm.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
This is why I don't use Safari or Mail. I personally find Firefox and Thunderbird to be much more useful (gotta love those extensions)

But you're right rsunusi, having a trivial list like this really shows off the strengths of OS X since the only things you dislike are tiny issues, most of which can be solved with a little tinkering. You can't say the same about Vista...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Core Duo 20", iBook G4, iPhone 8GB :)
You can even set your mighty mouse "ball" to middle click as 3rd mouse button and then just middle click your way into creating new tabs. You can also drag a link to the address bar, and it will create a new tab.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD

I don't care for Safari either, Firefox on the Mac suites me just fine. But if I may, I'd just like to address this rather common misunderstanding as it relates to email.

Return receipts are specific to the mail server you're using. If the mail server you're sending to simply doesn't send a return receipt when there's a problem, it has nothing to do with your mail client.

If by referring to "return receipts", you mean "read receipts", be aware that there is no facility for read receipts in the POP3 standard. This is a proprietary feature of some corporate mail solutions like Microsoft Exchange. It is entirely dependent on your mail client actually responding to a request for a read receipt. Your client doesn't have to respond (even if you're using Outlook) and many mail clients just ignore it altogether. Which is why it's a rather useless feature unless you're sending/receiving email on a corporate network to internal parties. In addition, responding to a request for a read receipt is in general a bad idea, since it will inevitably relay the fact that yours is a legitimate email address when you open up spam email, in turn generating more spam to your address.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
No you don't. You just click on the icon and it automatically highlights the whole url, then you can start typing. Same thing, one click.

Agreed, works here every time.

I visit Flash sites daily. You Tube Videos are flash. I have never had a Flash issue that I can remember with Safari.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late 2009 Unibody MBP, 2.8ghz, 500gig, 4gig
I was, like most people, a Windows user till I bought a MacBook Pro in January and haven't used Windows XP more than a couple of times since then, as what they say about Mac OS X really is true, once you get used to it makes you wonder why you ever used Windows.

So, I've been using Mac OS X the last several months and happened to try Vista and opened up IE to do some web browsing -- that's when immediately i noticed something -- IE is better than Safari, JUMPIN' JEHOSEFATS even Firefox is better than Safari.

When clicking on address bar once in IE or firefox, you can just start typing a new URL while in Safari .... WHERE IN THE WORLD IS CARMEN SANDIEGO? You have to delete the COTTON PICKIN' whole url manually.

We all know the flash issues with Safari, but these two seemingly minor issues really stand out when used repeatedly, and I felt more productive in IE ... Apple should just be logical and redesign Safari to incorporate those two things .. certainly not very difficult to do !

So, Safari is a mediocre browser. Do something about it Apple, not boast about Safari 3 with the same limitations !

Another annoying thing -- the .Mac service must be the buggiest thing ever -- its like i get the spinning beach ball all the time when accessing idisk and just seems not right , not smooth somehow, and prone to crash.

Those are my gripes, at least what I cant remember now, anyone else have the same experience or just get used to it ?

I'm all for productivity, even if it means 'borrowing' some ideas from other places -- add cut functionality in Finder ! Finder also needs more work -- the iTunes-like Finder and cover flow feature in Leopard also seem superfluous and unnecessary, who's really going to flip through documents with cover flow in Finder? Like hello ?

1.for adding tabs press command+t
2.to select and overwrite the url:just double click on the url bar
3.about flash issues,i dont have any..i assume u shouldnt have any neither
4.and when u get used to cover flow it is like heaven..i am looking forward to get my hands on leopard..
i think u dont know how to use the apps included in mac..all do respect it is not an insulation,just an idea..u can use thunderbird for mail,opera for web browsing and many other for many other things...

M

MacHeadCase

<Off topic>

I heard COTTON PICKIN' is a lot of hard work...

;) - To DB -

</Off topic>

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
<Off topic>

I heard COTTON PICKIN' is a lot of hard work...

;) - To DB -

</Off topic>

HAHAHAHAHA!

There is some song about picking cotton. Very old song. And yes, Picking Cotton is not an easy chore!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.