• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

Can macs play next gen video formats?

Reaction score
Well basically i know that macbooks come with imovie hd but if i were to put a hd-dvd in a mac (or blu-ray) would the mac play it? Also whats the resolution of a mac its not hd is it?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black macbook 2.16ghz 2GB Ram 160GB hdd | 8Gb Ipod Nano
I think macs will play High definition DVD's and blue ray disks (i think) but it will not play them at there full resolution as the macbook only supports up to 1280x800 where as Blue ray and HD DVD's play at 1,920x1,080.

anything with the resolution above 1,280x720 is considered High definition and so yes a macbook is High definition at 1280x800

OP
srgthunder
Reaction score
what about macbook pro's what is their resolution?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook 2ghz, 1gb RAM, 80gb HD
Well basically i know that macbooks come with imovie hd but if i were to put a hd-dvd in a mac (or blu-ray) would the mac play it? Also whats the resolution of a mac its not hd is it?

Playing those formats requires having a DVD drive that supports them, and Macs do not have them yet. So, no they will not play.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.2Ghz i7 Late 2011 MBP: 16GB Ram 500GB Seagate XT HD
Yeah the cost of HD-DVD/Blue Ray rom would cost almost if not more then the macbook itself.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 8x3.0ghz 12gb ram 8800GT , MBP 2.16 2GB Ram 17 inch.
most laptops on the market (i say most because i don't know for sure to say all) do not come with hd-dvd or blu-ray drives in them yet.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MacBook Pro (Early 2008) 2.4GHz 4GB RAM running 10.5.4
If you desperately want a laptop that comes equipped with built-in Blu-Ray or HD-DVD may I suggest you look for a Sony VAIO?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 MBP, i7, 16GB RAM, MBP 2.16Ghz Core Duo, 2GB ram, Dual 867Mhz MDD, 1.75GB ram, ATI 9800 Pro vid
First you would need a proper drive (player), but I don't think that OS X has the ability to play those formats yet.

As for resolution I think only the latest 17" Macbook Pro models have full HD ability. You could use an external model, otherwise the software would alter the picture to fit the screen realstate is has.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.