• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

jack-of-all-trades needs new IT job

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score
so, i'm facing a bit of an IT career panic.

my current organization and team are so stripped down and out of whack that i am seriously considering leaving after 11 years (even 11 years within the same team).

the problem is, i started this job back in '96 with zero mainframe operations, network, or server experience and very little computer experience.

over the years i've been trained periodically in random things from mainframe JCL to basic UNIX operations to any number of specific apps that run on various platforms. our department has also taken on all sorts of odd responsibilities as we were the only people in the company to work 24 hrs a day, and we're still the only ones that do who are on shore.

all this and more has left me a jack of all trades of sorts. i can pick up just about anything very quickly, have a great broad understanding of nearly all of the systems that we deal with, but no in-depth knowledge of just about anything.
putting together a new resume has me scared out of my wits.

i can list litterally hundreds of applications and numerous operating systems i'm familiar with. but if questioned by someone with a decent knowledge of almost any one thing i know, i'm afraid they'd see me as a fraud, or at the very least take any number of other candidates with more specific knowledge.

so, i'm feeling a bit lost and panicked.

does anyone with any IT experience have any thoughts or ideas?

M

MacHeadCase

Gee I'm so sorry, eric. I know you've invested a lot of yourself in that job of yours and tried your best to give it some type of meaning.

Hang in there. I'm sure someone with insider knowledge will come in this thread and post. But remember this: diplomas don't mean everything and it's all a question of being there at the right time.

OP
eric

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score
thanks MHC, i appreciate the kind words.

actually being in the right place at the right time landed me this job. i had a
BA in art from a 4 year college, ended up in a string of pointless and low-paying jobs, and then stumbled upon this through a relation. luckily at the time bestbuy was in such crisis they would hire anyone ;). i actually came to the interview in a black t-shirt, black jean shorts, my steel toe black leather work boots and wearing a nose ring and my long hair (at the time) in a pony tail. luckily i was a charmer. ;P

M

MacHeadCase

LOL

Well you will pull it off again, I'm sure! Charm stays and doesn't come off in the wash! :D

Reaction score
There are many parts to an IT player. Your collection of skills isn't going to land you a full time job as a Java script writer but most networks need someone who knows a lot about a lot. The ability to wire up a network rack to swapping out a hard drive to knowing why a 72 dpi gif file isn't going to print well. Sell your multi-talents, they are a strength. Best of luck!

Reaction score
I am in IT, haven't been in there long, but I have found that it isn't that uncommon for people with a non-IT related degree (or no degree) do very well simply based on their experience and work ethic.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 8 Core 2.8, 6gb Ram, 2TB HD space, Geforce 8800GT//Macbook Pro 2.16, 2gb Ram
Eric, you're a smart, talented, and a drop dead sexy beast! Er, I mean... very like-able guy.
I'm not exactly sure where I'm going with this... but regardless.
Wish you the best of luck Eric!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac 2.7GHz Core i5, iPhone 6, iPad Air 2, 4th gen Apple TV
Don't worry so much about a degree. That's only what people show as evidence of knowledge. Instead of a degree from some 2-4 year school, you have 11 years of experience to show that. If you're really concerned about not having enough knowledge, maybe you can take some part time classes. It shouldn't be very difficult given your experience and even a degree from some online program would fill that degree gap to satisfy employers, who will be more interested in your real world experience anyway.

OP
eric

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score
well, i guess it's just a matter of trying to figure a clever way of selling myself on one sheet of paper. thanks all for the kind (and sexy) words and advice

M

MacHeadCase

Well you are a sexy beast but if you were hired just because of that, wouldn't it be a form of sexual harassment? :eek:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2GHz/2GB/CD
Don't worry so much about a degree. That's only what people show as evidence of knowledge. Instead of a degree from some 2-4 year school, you have 11 years of experience to show that. If you're really concerned about not having enough knowledge, maybe you can take some part time classes. It shouldn't be very difficult given your experience and even a degree from some online program would fill that degree gap to satisfy employers, who will be more interested in your real world experience anyway.

I find this to be very true. But, I also think that a degree does show that you're capable of something and is often needed to even be considered for a job, let alone be asked in for an interview. This is for anyone, in most fields. Surely, you can be a great programmer and not have a degree... but for fields such as engineering, you *need* a degree. It all depends on what interests you and what path you decide to take.

I'm currently an engineering student and most of the material we learn, I seem to 'forget' temporarily after months of not using it (I can go back and quickly review it in 5 minutes, recalling how to do it perfectly), but I think the "real" learning experience will come when you actually put those concepts/theories to practice everyday. So, don't worry about your BA in Arts, at least you have a college degree. Consider the number of people in the U.S. without one!

In the OPs case, you've got 11 years of solid experience. Have you thought about getting certifications to further expand your knowledge and career potential? Remember, while you still do have 11 years of experience, you do need to stay up to date with technology. Continuing education is important, and almost mandatory in the technology field (whether you're in the engineering or IT business). If you get into database management, you'll live well. Take a stab at MySQL (then get the MySQL Core Certification) or learn Oracle.

Some other certifications you might want to consider:

1) Cisco Certified Network Professional (CCNP)
2) Cisco Certified Security Professional (CCSP)
3) Cisco Certified Internetwork Expert (CCIE)
4) MSCE
5) Project Management Professional (PMP)

Make sure you study hard for these tests, as they cost a lot of money.

Also, if you're into programming, you can do some freelance work for money (rentacoder.com). This will depend on your programming expertise. I would consider this more of a side job.

In any case, good luck with whatever you chose.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24" iMac 3.06GHz 8GB of RAM 2TB HDD, 13" Aluminum MacBook 2.0GHz 4GB of RAM 500GB HDD
You might consider the Air Force, you could go in as an officer, since you already have a degree, do 20 years and receive a nice retirement. They have many tech jobs you might be interested in. I am probably going to the Air Force after my enlistment in the Army is up, just a thought. Let me know if you want more info, it is really a great career.

OP
eric

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score
yeah... not an option. 37 and a pacifist. so, there you go. ;)

Reaction score
Sorry to hear that, Eric. Have you tried linkedin.com? It's a site that networks people from different areas of work/school. Maybe you can find something there. My brother-in-law found some old colleagues when he was out of work and now has a job because of it. Maybe you'll score too. I'm sure you will though. Good luck. :D

OP
eric

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score
hmm, yeah. i've heard of that, i'll have to check into it. thanks!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
White MacBook Intel C2D 2.2GHz, 2G, 250G, SD, Leopard.
eric,

I'll ask from a different perspective. Where do you want to go? Where do you want to be five or ten years from now? What path do you want to follow?

There's plenty of high tech work in your area. I even worked for a company from your area years ago in their DC office:

www.atcorp.com

You have skills and flexibility that would be useful to lots of companies who are healthy and want to be around in the future. You need however to recognize the value of what you've accomplished over the years in order to understand what you're capable of doing and what you're worth to a company. Then you need to sell it, like it or not.

The questions are more rhetorical and for you to ponder. You can't know where you'll be five years from now, or perhaps even a day from now. However, you ought to be able to point yourself in some general direction so that you have some sense as to whether some new job will bring you where you would like to be.

Hope this helps!

OP
eric

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score
actually, on that i do have some clarity, sort of...

i want a job that will allow me the freedom to be a father and a husband. to make enough to support my family without removing myself from them physically or emotionally. if i could make the kind of money i make now being a garbage man or line cook, i'd do it as easily as doing what i do now.

so, luckily, i have no real preconceived notions of what i want to do. ;)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
White MacBook Intel C2D 2.2GHz, 2G, 250G, SD, Leopard.
So sell what you're good at doing.

Next question: What's your passion?

I ply math. I craft algorithms. I make beautiful code. I take midnight walks regularly and contemplate what I've done and what I need to do. When the PHBs (Pointy Hair Bosses) make my job tedious, it's a job and the door goes "Ka-THUNK!" when I leave. When I'm free to do what I do best, it's the most important thing in the world. When struck with the Idiot Hammer, I muse it's 15 years until retirement. When I'm doing what I do, I can't imagine ever stopping until this body of mine quits.

What's your passion? (Again, rhetorical.)

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
i actually came to the interview in a black t-shirt, black jean shorts, my steel toe black leather work boots and wearing a nose ring and my long hair (at the time) in a pony tail. luckily i was a charmer. ;P

Thought you were describing me there for a sec - except it would have been my Birkenstocks and no rings - lol.

There's a big diference in a Jack-of-all-trades that moves from job to job vs. one that has expanded, been willing to learn new things, and grown within the same company for that many years. There are many employers out there that will appreciate this type of work ethic. This would be a great positive to work into your resume.

You're in a good field, and on occasion it just becomes the right time to move on. You're in a good postion - have a job - don't have to go, not getting laid off - so you have time to start looking for that next job. I see you know what you want in a job - so look for, and at those that will fit in these parameters. They do exist. Sometimes it can take awhile to find the right fit - but you have the time. No need to be in a rush.

OP
eric

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score
you know, it's weird. people say that, or ask that, and it almost doesn't register. when passion is mentioned in regards to occupation, it's as alien to me as measuring wattage in regard to cat food.

for sure there are things i'd rather not do (mostly highly redundant jobs). but really, honestly, the things that would make me really happy in a job would be things like being closer to my home, or allowing me not to travel, or not being on-call. although, oddly enough, i do not want to work from home. i would not be able to focus like that, and i do like collaboration.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.