Growl

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac (27 inch, Late 2012), Processor: Core i5, Memory: 16GB 1333 Mhz DDR3 running MacOS Catalina
Hey guys...

A friends suggested Growl to me as a nice application to have installed...
Considering I'm new to the Mac scene and do not know much about the mac applications, could someone tell me exactly what is growl and how does it work??? Is it of any use to any of you???

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
macbook
growl is basically a notification program. Applications such as iTunes and Adium will work with it - so when certain events occur, growl displays a message of that event. A new track for iTunes starts, it'll show the track info and cover art. A friend signs on to Adium (in case you don't know, this is a superior alternative to MSN for mac) and a little message pops up letting you know. There are a number of themes to choose from for growl appearance. It's a great little app that really helps you keep an eye on what's going on on your mac.

From system preferences, you can turn growl on and off for certain applications, and I think you can even choose which events to set it for. If it starts to get annoying for a message to pop up when a friend signs off, I think you can turn that event notification off.

It's a very useful app. Not really for everyone, but I highly recommend it, especially if you don't want to be constantly switching apps to check what's happening. Considering it's free, contains no bugs or flaws I've ever encountered or heard of, it's definitely worth trying.

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score
completely agreed with dtownley.

works nicely with cog too (audio player app).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black macbook 2.16ghz 2GB Ram 160GB hdd | 8Gb Ipod Nano
when i installed adium it automatically downloaded growel. I never really touch the program myself but adium uses it and i find its a good little tool

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
I love Growl! :D

I use VirtueDesktops, so having Growl notifications is really useful, especially with Adium as I don't have to switch desktops just to read my IMs. My Mac experience has been greatly improved due to Growl, and the many people who I have recommended it to will agree.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 8x3.0ghz 12gb ram 8800GT , MBP 2.16 2GB Ram 17 inch.
I use growl too, i also love it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
ibook g4, imac 2ghz c2d, mbp 2.4ghz c2d - 10.5.1
i like it. Although it would be even better if anyone knows how to get it to tell u when you have mail.

thanks

OP
knightjp
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac (27 inch, Late 2012), Processor: Core i5, Memory: 16GB 1333 Mhz DDR3 running MacOS Catalina
I would like to make Microsoft Messenger work with Growl.... Any idea how I add it to the applications list??

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
ibook g4, imac 2ghz c2d, mbp 2.4ghz c2d - 10.5.1
im not sure but have you tried the latest version of aMSN - very good program

OP
knightjp
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
bottom-of-the-line MacBook
I don't like it for itunes notification because (I guess) iTunes doesn't broadcast the song/title often enough, so when I switch songs using the keys combo I set it doesn't pop up the message right away. It's annoying because I'll switch the song and 5 seconds later a box will pop up. I went back to using synergy, which polls iTunes.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24" iMac. 15" MacBookPro. 13" MacBookPro. iPhone 3G
Thanks for everyones input! This is a perfect example of why I love this site/forums. I was wondering what Growl was on my computer and I knew if I popped on here and searched, you'd all have all the info I need! Yay Mac-Forums! :)

Thanks!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 24" 2.4GHz 2GB RAM 320GB HD
I dunno, I don;t really see the point of growl here, maybe I don't have a real use for it...

Reaction score
I noticed i had this app too on my MBP.

I don’t use my laptop for much other than browsing the web and the odd download. I only use MSN for chatting and use google mail and hotmail as my Email.

I have just updated growl and switched it on.

What can a simple laptop user like me expect???

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
Growl is useless unless an application is developed and installed to use it. If you go to the Growl pref pane (System Preferences > Growl > Applications), you should see what applications are enabled and using Growl.

Reaction score
Growl is useless unless an application is developed and installed to use it. If you go to the Growl pref pane (System Preferences > Growl > Applications), you should see what applications are enabled and using Growl.

Just did that and the only thing that is enabled is GROWL!!! haha

For someone like me am i better off just deleting it?

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
Depends. It really is an "application of choice" - you don't really risk anything having it installed and you only need it if you want it for notifications. The choice is up to you.

Reaction score
Depends. It really is an "application of choice" - you don't really risk anything having it installed and you only need it if you want it for notifications. The choice is up to you.

I’ll just keep it then, but leave it off.............. just incase i ever do learn anything about the whole interweb and computers!! haha

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.