my first mac

Reaction score
Hi There
I bought my first pc 8 years ago, at the time I was tossing up which way to go. I almost bought the strawberry imac, but was talked out of it by a horrified pc user. So after 8 years I now have a brand new 20 inch iMac 2.4
I am in love! :)

I think this forum is great.

I am missing my right click a litte though. In Windows XP I liked that I could right click on a jpeg and would get the option to send in emal...and it would automatically offer 3 resize options...or to keep the original size when sending. (am referring to Thunderbird for windows btw). Doesn't seem as simple on the mac. I will investigate further. (am using thunderbird on the mac)

My keyboard is looking a little grubby already, after 2 weeks...anyone know if I can clean it with ...what? a damp cloth perhaps?

I look forward to reading more informative posts on here.
Jacq

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
Out of the box way to right click is to hold the Ctrl button while clicking. However, there is an option to right click via the two finger tap. Go to System Preferences --> Keyboard and Mouse and then enable the option that allows you to tap two fingers to right click.

Reaction score
Keyboard Cover: http://www.iskin.com/protouchmb/. Get One. I love both of mine. Use one for the laptop and one for my wireless keyboard. You can just take them off-wash them- and put em back on. :)

You can use a left/right click mouse with macintosh. So you won't have to miss that right click after-all. Not sure if TB has the same re-sizing options within macintosh, but im sure there has to be something very similar.

Welcome to the world of Mac.

OP
J
Reaction score
I have already tried Ctrl hold, while clicking on the jpeg and it doesn't give me the option to send in an email. Perhaps it can't be done this way on a mac. Instead, I have to open Thunderbird, write new email, and from there....click on insert image then find it, then add it to the email.
in windows all i had to do, was right click on the jpeg, without thunderbird being open...and the option comes up to send in an email

OP
J
Reaction score
ExposedR

I don't think they make a cover yet, for the new apple keyboard. I didn't see one.

thanks for the replies so far

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late 2009 Unibody MBP, 2.8ghz, 500gig, 4gig
i have a mouse for windows on my mac,and right click works just fine..u should get one..

OP
J
Reaction score
that is all very well...but I don't want to use a microsft mouse on my mac...I am done with pc's amd amything related to the clunkyness of them.
I am wondering if I can resize an image when sending as attachment in email, as easily with an apple mouse as I could when right clicking using windows...
did that make sense...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24" iMac, 2.4 C2D, 2Gb, 320Gb HD, 500GB External OWC FW800, 17" MBP, 2.8 GHz, 4Gb, 500Gb HD, iPhone.
I have a wireless Mighty Mouse...and right click works just like it did on PC.

System Preferences --> Keyboard & Mouse --> Choose "Secondary Button" for the right side of the mouse.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
White 2ghz Core Duo Macbook, 2ghz RAM, 60gb Hard drive, SuperDrive
that is all very well...but I don't want to use a microsft mouse on my mac...I am done with pc's amd amything related to the clunkyness of them.
I am wondering if I can resize an image when sending as attachment in email, as easily with an apple mouse as I could when right clicking using windows...
did that make sense...

An easy way to do this is to begin using iLife and Apple Mail. That may not be the best solution (considering you are used to Thunderbird), but I'd give it a try. If you import your pictures into iPhoto, then click the e-mail option you can send it as large, medium, small, or full sized photo. Once you click ok there, it automatically makes a message in your email application, and all you have to do is type in the recipient's name. Apple Mail is easy to use, and I personally prefer it. You may be different..

Also, you could always opt for an automator script. If you have questions about that, you can always just PM me..

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" Macbook Pro 2.26Ghz Unibody 4G RAM 160G HDD Superdrive
You have an iMac, correct? This means you should have a wired Mighty Mouse as standard included equipment. This mouse does right click by sensing that you clicked the single button to the right of the little mouse nipple. You need to not touch the mouse to the left of the mouse nipple in order for that to register. Same thing with my wireless Mighty Mouse. The mouse is very sensitive to the finger location with respect to the...uh, scroll ball (can't pack too much innuendo into a single post.)

As far as emailing pictures, just about everything with a Mac involves dragging things rather than right-click-context-menu-select-thing-release. Open email message to send pic of spawn to brother-in-law, drag pic of spawn into body of message. Enter text indicating this is a picture of spawn, click send. Bada-bing, fuggetaboutit.

Reaction score
my wife is getting sooo jealous with my new (first) IMAC...."Torn between two lovers..." i sing to her! lol! and when I mention the mouse nibble, she gets angry! heheh

gotta Love the MAC!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.