parallel port

Reaction score
I need to run a parallel device (not a printer) under windows on my intel mac.

Has anyone had any experience doing so?

I'm considering getting a PCIe parallel port card for windows machines, and hope windows recognizes it.

Does anyone have any experience in this area?

Thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacPro quad-core 2.66gHz, Leopard, 9gb RAM, one 250gb, two 500gb and three 1tb internal SATA drives
You said that it's NOT a printer but failed to say what it is that you want to connect. Is it a scanner? What model? :eek:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
See Sig...
My suspicion is that it would work fine under Windows. At the very least, I doubt you'd hurt anything by trying. I'm not sure how the Mac Pro deals with expansion cards that OSX may not recognize, but every other computer I've ever used (both mac and pc) simply ignores the card (assuming you don't jam an ISA card into a PCI slot or something... it won't recognize that, either, but the way in which it chooses to not recognize it may be somewhat more spectacular than just ignoring it :p ;))

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac pro Quad Xeon; 15" Retina Macbook Pro; macbooks (family); Macbook pro 17"; intel & G4 iMacs.
I have a USB parallel lead that only cost £8. I am sure that would be an option worth trying!

OP
S
Reaction score
Thanks for all the input so far. Please keep it coming.

The device I need to use is the Desktop Phantom. A computer sculpting device made by www.sensable.com

It runs on a parallel port only.

I don't know if USB would be fast enough for it.

I had been running the device on my HP, but it died and now I want to consolidate and run everything on my 8 core mac pro.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
See Sig...
USB is faster than parallel; however, some of those adapters can cause problems with devices other than printers and scanners.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.