Dell E228WFP

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2GHz/2GB/CD
Hey, has anyone had any experience with the Dell E228WFP 22" monitor?

I'm looking to get one for my MacBook, the small screen is finally getting to me :(

I've read some formal reviews, but anyone have any personal experiences? I won't be using this for any video/photo editing, just for basic use. It seems like it'd be a good choice.

Also, what about the http://www.pcconnection.com/ProductDetail?Sku=7078441, Samsung Syncmaster 226BW. I've heard pretty good things about this monitor too, just as good as the Dell, if not better.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac 2.7GHz Core i5, iPhone 6, iPad Air 2, 4th gen Apple TV
It's kind of one of those situations where you get what you pay for. I have one and it's ok for most uses, but when I play games or especially watch movies, it just stinks.

OP
DoubleCap
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2GHz/2GB/CD
The dell or the samsung?

SOrry, I edited the post and added the samsung.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24" iMac 3.06GHz 8GB of RAM 2TB HDD, 13" Aluminum MacBook 2.0GHz 4GB of RAM 500GB HDD
There is nothing wrong with the Dell, I use one at work, I don't know about the samsung. You may want to consider this monitor from newegg though and save yourself some money. I have 2 24" acer monitors and both work great for everyday use, gaming, and watching movies.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824009094

OP
DoubleCap
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2GHz/2GB/CD
Didn't find the Dell on Newegg.

Also can you describe what you like and don't like? Is there a lot of bleeding? I also heard that if you play movies and games (I don't care for the games realy, but the movies part) that it's washed out a little... is this true?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24" iMac 3.06GHz 8GB of RAM 2TB HDD, 13" Aluminum MacBook 2.0GHz 4GB of RAM 500GB HDD
The monitor I was talking about was in the link below my post. It is an acer 22". I don't really watch movies on the dell monitor at work so I can't say about that. The dell does produce really good blacks though. Give me a minute and I will put a movie in and see how the dell looks. Also the colors on the dell will wash out if viewed from above or from a wide side angle, it looks best if you are looking dead on. The acer seem to do a better job on side angle but it is about the same when viewing from above.

OP
DoubleCap
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2GHz/2GB/CD
Ah I see. I've been reading about the Samsung one and it looks great. I watched the video review of it by this lady (who wasn't all that good or helpful), but I did get to see the monitor in "video"-mode.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Ok, I just watched several clips from a troy DVD and Shooter DVD. There was not really any ghosting but the colors were not as good as they could be and there were a lot of jaggies especially in action scenes. I would have to say the acer is a much better choice over the dell for watching movies. Like I said I can't really give an opinion on the samsung because I have never used one but it seems to have the exact same specs as the acer. Hope this helps.

OP
DoubleCap
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2GHz/2GB/CD
Cool, thanks for the extra help babarnette. I think I'll rule out the Dell.

OP
DoubleCap
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2GHz/2GB/CD
Looks like I'll be ordering this tomorrow. If you have any opinions, please do post them still. Thanks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
That is actually not correct DC 3000:1 = 700:1. The only difference I see between the 2 samsung models is the second one you mentioned has a brighter back light and it has a faster gtg pixel response time. 5ms vs 2ms is not worth the money to me. Anything under 8ms is a good monitor. The is another acer monitor for $5.00 more than the previous one I showed you. It has 800:1 contrast ratio, 5ms response time, and is as bright as the second samsung you posted. This would probably be your best choice as it is less expensive and has better specs. Here is the link:http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824009102

P.S. Both samsung models require that you send in a mail in rebate to get the advertised price.

OP
DoubleCap
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2GHz/2GB/CD
I've decided on the Samsung 22" 225BW. It should work without a problem right? My main Q is whether or not the graphics on the MacBook can support the resolutions the LCD has?

All I need is a mini-DVI to DVI adapter and the monitor and I should be ready go to.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Check apples website on macbook technical specs to make sure.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.