Imac G3 Booting from cd

Reaction score
ok my mac wouldnt boot so i posted a thread and someone told me that mac os x and 9 is or isnt on the same partion and it wont let me boot and he said i need the mac os 9 disc. well i downloaded os 9.dmg and put it on a cd and inserted it manually into the drive what do i do now i pressed and held c is there any other way to get it to boot from the cd also is there like an open firmware command or anything.

M

MacHeadCase

I just searched Apple Support downloads and there isn't a way to download OS 9 so I think you are mistaken and have downloaded an OS 9 update instead. These will obviously won't work for the install.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3
I'm no expert but from what I know just burning the dmg file to a cd won't work. You need to make a bootable cd with the OS on it. Which yours isnt. I think toast might be able to do this, I'm not sure.

http://www.creativemac.com/HTM/58Seconds/2000/06_00/bootcd/bootcd-page1.htm

That might work if you do a similar thing on the OS X version of toast.
You might have to open the dmg file and manually add all the files there to toast but that should work. . . should. I'm going from memory here. As it's been ages since I've used anything OS 9 related.

http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?threadID=121672
That link might be of use too.

OP
X
Reaction score
I have a Mac and a Pc

i am a pc user and dont really know anything about macs and the only mac i have will not boot so what program for pc do u know that will create a bootable cd

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.