imac do not start after fresh installation

Reaction score
hi i have imac 450 dv with mac os 9. it was getting very slow so i thought i should do clean fresh install of mac os 9 (i have cd). then i format the whole disk from cd boot and then install clean os 9.everything went good but when i restart the imac -- it did but when it comes to show window part it shows only blinking earth icon continually. and do nothing.
it has 20 gig of drive and format it as 1 whole partition of 20 gig standard

M

MacHeadCase

The flashing earth icon is because the system is looking for its operating system on a network. Can you boot holding down the Shift key so it disables Extensions and then go to your Control Panels and select the hard drive icon in the startup volumes or startup disk.

Or maybe holding down the Option key on startup works in OS 9 as well as in OS X.

Sorry, it's been a long time since I used OS 9 and my memory is failing me now... Ack! :Oops:

Edited to add:

Doh! DB beat me to it.

Reaction score
Did you use the Imac OS dics that came with the machine,other wise when you nuked the drive you lost the firmware.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.