How do i download AIM for mac? Ichat sucks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook 2ghz, 1gb RAM, 80gb HD
AIM for Mac has not been updated in long time, and will crash often. You need to use either iChat or Adium.

I do not understand why everyone likes AIM so much. I used either Trillian or Gaim (now Pidgin) when I was a Windows user. PC users who see my Adium setup wish AIM could do what Adium does.

What is it you don't like about iChat? Chax provides some nice customization options for it, and most users like it once they realize that they usually get it to do what they want it to.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerBook G4 15 inch 1.5 GHz, iMac
i love iChat. I'd say you should give it another try.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black macbook 2.16ghz 2GB Ram 160GB hdd | 8Gb Ipod Nano
remember you can always use another chat client. I have recently started using "adium" and i love it. Adium supports AIM as well as yahoo, icq, msn + more!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
If you are missing certain features in iChat, be sure to check out Chax.

OP
M
Reaction score
If you are missing certain features in iChat, be sure to check out Chax.

so what is better? adium or chax?

my main gripe with ichat is that the letters are way too small (can u adjust this??) and i cannot direct connect with my buddies to receive pictures.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook 2ghz, 1gb RAM, 80gb HD
so what is better? adium or chax?

my main gripe with ichat is that the letters are way too small (can u adjust this??) and i cannot direct connect with my buddies to receive pictures.

Chax is an add-on for iChat. Adium (an entirely different client) supports direct connect. You can read about it here.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black macbook 2.16ghz 2GB Ram 160GB hdd | 8Gb Ipod Nano
i have only tried adium. it was the first chat client that i tried and im so pleased with it i haven't bothered looking for another.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac 2.7GHz Core i5, iPhone 6, iPad Air 2, 4th gen Apple TV
I tried iChat, but it wouldn't stay connected to my AIM account, AIM for Mac did the same thing. Finally I got to Adium and have been happy ever since.

I would say, do yourself a favor and skip all the junk right to Adium. Most people here on M-F use it and have tried just about everything else out there.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
New MACBOOK
I use amsn because it works with my windows friends msn messenger clients, and the isight on my macbook works with it. I don't know anyone on aim, yahoo, or icq.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black MacBook, 2.2GHz , 2gb RAM, 160gb HD. iPod 5g 30gb
directly from iChat can you connect/ chat with friends using msn messenger - do you need to configure iChat or what

also can you just have the program msn messenger on the mac??

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
I have found the opposite, I can Direct Connect better on all my Macs with iChat with my Windows Buddies running AIM than I could with anything on the PC. Give CHAX a try with iChat. Also you can right click and change the Font size.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.