ibook networking problem

P

Ph@t-G

Hey ppl,

I am having a problem connecting to my existing network with my newly acquired ibook. I have an Airport Extreme card installed in my ibook already but for some reason it doesn't seem to detect my wireless network at home. I am using Netgear WGR614 802.11g router with WEP 128bit encryption.
Sorry if the above post seems like an easy topic but I am a new mac user so any comments and advice would be greatly appreciated!

Cheers! = )

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
Hmmmm if your network is encrypted, it might not be able to find it.

Hit 'other' in the airport tab and then enter your networks identification.
does that work?

If not try downloading macstumbler software which lets you find networks in your vincinity and tells you how strong the signal is. (also finds encrypted ones)

If that can find your network, try switching off the encryption and see if that works.
If it doesn't, maybe your airport card isn't inserted properly, or connected to the antenna correctly...

OP
V

vuschejan

Also, if your network is closed you will have to use other then "network name: " and then password: I suggest keychain for the password unless you want to go through and type in all those numbers and letters everytime you turn the comp. on :-D

OP
P

Ph@t-G

Thanks for the advice ppl.....seems like my airport only likes to connect using WPA-PSK encryption when connecting onto the network....and when i tried using WEP it won't work....
so now i've just got encryption off and it works!
= )

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MacBook Pro & 23" ACD
if you would like to use encryption, I believe that you add a $ sign somewhere...

Where it says WEP is where you insert your wep encryption key.
It's one of these:
$WEP$
$WEP
WEP$

try each one....and see if it works

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.