Terminal

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac (27 inch, Late 2012), Processor: Core i5, Memory: 16GB 1333 Mhz DDR3 running MacOS Catalina
Hey guys,

Any ideas where I can learn terminal commands???

I used to know DOS commands when I used Windows machines... It helped me frequently when problems arose & stuff didn't work (a usual thing with Windows)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerBook G4 15" 1GHz 768MB 60GB
http://www.ss64.com/osx/

If you're unsure of how to use a command, try typing man command, For example, man ls. Note that the OS X shell is similar to other shells used in Linux/Unix distributions, so commands are similar (if not identical).

OP
knightjp
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac (27 inch, Late 2012), Processor: Core i5, Memory: 16GB 1333 Mhz DDR3 running MacOS Catalina
I kinda knew that the command line would be similar to the Linux/ Unix stuff.
The terminal was brought in from the Unix platform. :Cool:

Thanks for the help...

OP
knightjp
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
On doin a 'Google'... I found this site....

http://www.macdevcenter.com/pub/a/mac/2001/12/14/terminal_one.html

Unlike the other site that was given to me... it does not boast a comprehensive list of commands to read and learn. But it does give a tutorial for those who do are completely knew to it (like me).

I think using both sites... someone could easily become a master at the mac OS X CLI

OP
knightjp
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
http://www.ss64.com/osx/

If you're unsure of how to use a command, try typing man command, For example, man ls. Note that the OS X shell is similar to other shells used in Linux/Unix distributions, so commands are similar (if not identical).

Thanks for the tip....

The site give a good comprehensive outlook on most (if not all) of the commands. However it uses some terms that are kinda new to me....
I guess I need to have a computer dictionary now while reading through the site.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | iMac(2.1 G5) | MacBook(2.16 C2D) | MacMini (1.67 CD) | iPhone 4 | iPad (3rd Gen)
Another nice tutorial can be found here.

OP
knightjp
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Another nice tutorial can be found here.

The site caters to Unix.... but thanks for the link...
Should help to make more sense of the commands...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.8Ghz MBP, 4GB RAM, 320 GB 7200RPM HD
I highly reccommend the book "UNIX for Mac OS X Tiger: Visual Quickpro Guide" by Matisse Enzer. I'm currently teaching myself UNIX and this is an excellent book.

OP
knightjp
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I highly reccommend the book "UNIX for Mac OS X Tiger: Visual Quickpro Guide" by Matisse Enzer. I'm currently teaching myself UNIX and this is an excellent book.

A book would be the best thing to have... learning stuff of the net via looking @ the screen is kinda hard. you find it hard to focus @ times or the glare of the screen can make you drowsy.
But there is one drawback to your suggestion... I use 10.3 panther.. ;D

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.