Bought an "Untested" PoweBook g3 off ebay, where should i start?

Reaction score
Okay,
So i bought this:
http://cgi.ebay.com/Macintosh-Power...ryZ51041QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

and it says "Untested/Unknown" so someone donated it to their computer recycling center and they just put it on ebay,
the powerbook itself is in GREAT condition. (from what i can see in the pictures), except the front where there is 2 spots of sticker residue, and the dvd drive bezel is missing, but thats fine, the screen and that looks great.
So,
i dont think it comes with a cord/battery,

So what im wondering is where should i start testing things?
Obviously battery/power cord would be the best part,

If i had the cord, could the PowerBook operate without a battery?
Can the apple store stick a cord/battery in it to just test it? (I had this done at the mall before with a cell phone.)

What should i know before i dive into this project?

Thanks,

Tanner.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
See Sig...
My suspicion is that the Apple store will not have the appropriate power cord for that machine, and I can all but guarantee you that they won't have the battery for it. As I recall the PB G3 had a completely different power connector (not dissimilar to a RCA connector) from any of the newer laptops save for maybe some of the early G4s.

The machine will run without the battery, if it works and you track down a working power adapter.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MacBook Pro (Early 2008) 2.4GHz 4GB RAM running 10.5.4
Don't buy it, looks like a piece of junk. I doubt it'll even turn on anyway.

OP
Tanner31593
Reaction score
Well, happy ending here. Well, almost. Got the powerbook monday, and they really meant 'untested', unlooked at, untouched. IT was advertised as 64mb ram, and i opened up the keyboard, the first thing i saw was a 256stick. and a 64 in there somewhere too. Nice! I still dont have a cord yet, and i think i might sell my imac to buy a cord/new battery and whatever else it may need, if anything.
im happy about my buy, even if it doesnt work, the ram alone made it worth $30. the screen (14 inch) is good too.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Quad 2.8GHz Mac Pro, Edge iPhone
You can get a power adapter for $10 or something, $20 with shipping.
If you get it running, it will be slow but worth the $50.
I won a 266MHz a year ago for $60. It came with extra RAM and a DVD-ROM instead of the CD-ROM which was worth $100 itself. I picked up a partially working 500MHz iBook for $100. It had a AirPort card installed worth $60. I got the iBook working at no cost. Sometimes you can really luck out with those junk auctions. $50 for a laptop isn't anything, even if it doesn't work. You could part it out and make some money.
Good find!!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.