Connecting to the Internet with a USB adapter using chipset drivers

Reaction score
I have a PowerPC-based, Airport-less Mac running Tiger, and am trying to connect to the Net with a Netgear WG111v2 Wireless USB Adapter that has a Realtek chipset. From what I've read on the web, it's possible to run such an adapter with a Mac by downloading and using Realtek-provided OS X drivers. I did so, and can run the Realtek software, which recognizes the adapter (as does System Profiler), but haven't had any luck connecting. The Realtek UI displays a list of networks in the area, including my own, but so far it's been impossible for me to connect to any of them, and signal strength for my own network shows nil, even though the router is in the same room. I've been trying to connect via DHCP (as my roommates do, successfully) but the router will not assign my machine an IP address.

Anyone had any success with a similar problem, or have any suggestions for what may be the problem? Any help would be much appreciated!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.