Do I have a Powerbook or MacBook Pro? Please help I can't tell.

Reaction score
Ok so My hard drive went out and I'm trying to find a new one. The Box my laptop came in says MacBook Pro 15", However the actual laptop says Powerbook G4. Which is it?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.53 GHz MBP, 4 GB RAM, 320 GB HDD
Does it have a little camera on top of the screen? If it does then it is a Macbook Pro and if not then it is a powerbook.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
The MacBook Pro has an Intel processor (this is the reason they dropped the "Power" from the name). The Powerbooks have a PowerPC G4 CPU. If it says "Powerbook G4" on the laptop itself, then it's definitely a Powerbook.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late 2009 Unibody MBP, 2.8ghz, 500gig, 4gig
how come this can happen..u say ur box says it is mbp but computer says powerbook??check the camera they've said thats a right and good advice..btw at the bottom of the screen frame does it say macbook pro??if it is then it is..or u can also check it from about this mac..by clicking the apple at the left upper corner..if the prossessor is intel then u know the answer.

OP
M
Reaction score
powerbook g4

ok I have figured it out its a powerbook g4. So I guess I need a Hard Drive for that. And I'm assuming a hard drive for a macbook pro wont fit. So what kind of hard drive do I need?? Maybe a link? Or ebay link??

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
ok I have figured it out its a powerbook g4. So I guess I need a Hard Drive for that. And I'm assuming a hard drive for a macbook pro wont fit. So what kind of hard drive do I need?? Maybe a link? Or ebay link??

The MacBook Pro uses a SATA hard drive. The PowerBook uses a Parallel ATA hard drive. You can find Parallel ATA notebook hard drives many places, I recommend NewEgg.com.

I would also recommend the Seagate brand as they have a 5-year warranty.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
See Sig...
Whatever you end up with, avoid Toshiba drives; I've had two, and they both ran unacceptably hot. To the point where I had to keep the battery (mounted below the hard drive in this particular machine) out of the laptop to keep the drives within their allowable operating specs; given that the case on the Mac is aluminum it's likely that such a drive would make that part of the case unbearably warm to the touch.

As other people have said, Seagate and WD are good, and I've not had any issues with my Hitachi 7k60 either. Whatever brand you get, I recommend at least a 5400rpm drive; a 7200 would be even better and give you a noticeable performance boost over a 5400, at the possible expense of some nominal amount of battery life.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.