Purpose of both a "Music" and "My Music" folder?

Reaction score
I'm new to Mac and still finding my way around. I have a new MacBook with the latest verios of Mac OS. I don;t get why there is a Music folder, which holds the iTunes and GrageBand folders, and thus all of your music. And, in addition there is a "My Music" folder in the Documents folder.

What is the point of of the My Music, Videos, Pictures folders in the My Documents folder? They seem pointless. Can they be deleted? (I know in windows there were some folders that couldn;t be deleted).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Core Duo 20", iBook G4, iPhone 8GB :)
Is there a My Music folder in the Documents folder? This wasn't there on my Mac. Maybe its some other software that has created this folder...

You can delete the one in Documents....

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
I have not seen a "My Music" folder in any version of OS X. My guess would be that an application of some type created it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13 inch Macbook Pro Retina, 2.7ghz, 128gb SSD
Yh this happend to me as well, when I installed MS Office 2003 for mac under crossover. I got a my music, video and pictures folder in the documents folder. I deleted mine and crossover and office 2003 worked fine

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook(W) 2GHz, 80GB HD, 1G RAM, Windows XP
i'm thinking, (if he didn't install MS Office). maybe if you transered your files from a windows machine, it would have placed them in the documents folder.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.