Recording music (live applications, semi studio app)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook/13.3"/2.16GHz Intel C2D/1GB RAM/120GB HD/Ipod 20 Gig
Anyone know the best interface for a Macbook? I will be using it to record my own stuff ...guitar then come back with bass....etc....and also will be using it to record live performances that I am in....

If I hear "Hook up the vcr and do it" in this thread I am going to throw up.....that is just ridiculous. ;D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2 GHz Black Intel Core Duo Macbook, 2 GB Ram, 100 GB HD, 60 GB black iPod Video, 8 GB iPhone
I use Garageband to record my stuff because it gets the job done easily and came on my mac, and it's also easy to use which is good because I don't know much about recording.

Reaction score
Mackie Onyx Satellite -- $200, basically a desktop and portable unit combined, comes with Tracktion software (which is pretty good). Would easily handle what you want to do.

OP
S
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mackie Onyx Satellite -- $200, basically a desktop and portable unit combined, comes with Tracktion software (which is pretty good). Would easily handle what you want to do.

Cool, I saw that in another thread yesterday and looked at it on MusiciansFriend...I might do that one.

Have you ever used it in a live setting as far as a large concert...and mic'd it up?? Just wondering the quality.

OP
S
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I use Garageband to record my stuff because it gets the job done easily and came on my mac, and it's also easy to use which is good because I don't know much about recording.

Haha..I have recorded with tons of stuff and I cannot figure out GarageBand..haha...I am going to sit down tonight and figure it out....I would still need an interface though.

Reaction score
Then, Sleepy Monkey, in between episodes of the gagging reflex, could you help me learn, and tell me why it won't work (and ridiculous to even suggest it) when I used to do it in the Stone Age of home recording, and have the Aiffs now on computer and CD.
Remember, the enquirer stated that all the music would be captured by microphone, pre-amplified and mixed by the performers and was being passed to speakers. He's taking a a line-out feed from their box of tricks!!!.
What you are referring to is actual feed from the actual microphone recording of musical instruments; of then being able to mix this, and then instead of into speakers, into your computer.
Your erudite comment please, and details of the specific flaws in my method (or have I defied some fundamental laws, just like aerodynamically the bumble bee cannot possibly fly.) Or perhaps the idea of reverting to and still using such stone age equipment as ...as...I'll say it...magnetic tape and a VHS is anathema to you and responsible for your gastric reflux. Should you vaguely hum and hah, doubting the audio quality...he asked to do it on a shoestring, so the real alternative for him and others in his situation might be, $10 for the plug job, or forget trying to capture audio memories in difficult places with little cash to fling around! All he has to do is try it once and see if it meets his needs. Or has sceptisim so pervaded the world such simple adages as 'suck it and see' no longer have any currency?

Reaction score
The trick with live recording is figuring out if you're tyring to capture each instrument separately for later mix or just capture the board mix. If the former, your best bet would be using a portable recorder/mixer (hard drive based recorder) and taking direct outs for each mic/instrument from the board (assuming it has direct outs on each channel . . . i.e., like a Mackie board). Otherwise you'd need a splitter on each mic/instrument. This is semi-complicated and requires at least the portable recorder ($500+).

If you just want to capture the show as mixed, then Terry's VCR method works as does any single or stereo recording option. You could use the Mackie Onyx Satellite to take a line out or stereo out from the board and record into your laptop. The only issue I'd see (potentially) with Terry's VCR method is that if you want to then go into digital mode (into a computer), you probably loose a little fidelity, but then we enter the debate over whether anyone would hear it.

Some bands I know just drop two mics in the room back near the board and do a true "live" digital recording off those mics -- this will tell you what the audience heard.

OP
S
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hey if you feel fine recording on a VCR, that is your cup, not mine. I just found it funny that one would even do that in the digital age we are in....but if it works, that is great.

But for my purposes, I am not going to lug a VCR around...I need something compact and something that is plug n' play...so I don't have to set it up every time I pull it out to record a show.

I think the Onyx might be good....or I might just spend a little more and get an 8 input Firepod or something.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D, 2Ghz, 2 GB RAM, 120 GB HD, ipod nano 8GB, 500GB MyBook
If you just want to capture the show as mixed, then Terry's VCR method works as does any single or stereo recording option. You could use the Mackie Onyx Satellite to take a line out or stereo out from the board and record into your laptop. The only issue I'd see (potentially) with Terry's VCR method is that if you want to then go into digital mode (into a computer), you probably loose a little fidelity, but then we enter the debate over whether anyone would hear it.

Can't you do this with an external sound card and Garage Band too? Just plug the line out from the sound board into your sound card (I got mine pretty cheap, like $30 bucks or so) and then record it in Garage Band. I guess the Mackie Satellite may be better quality, but if you are on a budget...

Reaction score
i'd go with a firepod.

these these are amazing!

i have NEVER heard a single bad thing about them.

i don't know if you NEED that many tracks, but it couldn't hurt to have, for the furture.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.