Has anyone used MiniDisc on their Mac?

Reaction score
The SONY MZ-RH1 looks like a good purchase especially as my wife is involved in a local community radio. It would come in handy for vox-pop interviews as well as a personal music player! It's basially a mobile sound studio as far as I can see :)

Has anyone got one? Is it any good?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP : 2.4GHz : 2GB RAM : 256MB VRAM : 160GB HDD
I don't know about that exact model but our radio production studio at college used Mini-Discs for that exact reason (vox-pops, interviews, on-location news reports etc).

They weren't used with Macs because the DAWs in the radio room where all Windows machines. Judging from the set up we had though, I don't see any reason why you couldn't hook it up to a Mac: 3.5" minijack cable from the headphone port (or a TOSlink cable if it supports digital/optical out) to the line-in port of the Mac. Boot up your choice of sound recording/editing software, chose the input, hit record, hit play on the mini-disc and boom.

Our setup was much more complicated with multiple input/output sound cards hooked up to Hi-Fi component mini-disc players through an amp, in turn connected to some beefy speakers; all with optical/digital connections, but the process is essentially the same.

Also I wouldn't really use a Mini-Disc for music playback; not that you can't, I'd just figure it's more hassle than it's worth. It found it's place great for recording stuff; loss-less digital format with an "analogue" way of getting the audio from the disc to the computer bypassing concerns about audio formats and compression that come with DAPs and with much higher quality than cassettes. But for music playback? It never really took off because it was far too complicated to get your music on there; it really is like going back to creating mixtapes. My advice it to get the Mini-Disc and something like an iPod shuffle or nano. Much more enjoyable experience, much quicker, and much easier.

OP
BigD
Reaction score
Cool! I'm informed however that MiniDisc on the Mac was not supported directly until 2006 on the release of the new Hi-MD players including the SONY MZ-RH1.

I've also heard the functionality of the Mac software is limited compared to the PC version. i.e. old SP and LP recorded tracks cannot be uploaded to a Mac only Hi-MD tracks!

This doesn't effect it's suitability for radio work however. It's just annoying from a iTunes jukebox perspective, as I have a catalogue of tunes on old minidiscs, and it would be great if I could upload them to my Mac!

OP
BigD
Reaction score
@Thread

R U all iPod users or something? ;D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.2Ghz i7 Late 2011 MBP: 16GB Ram 500GB Seagate XT HD
I use to use a minidics player,not is collecting dust in my closet. Sony's jukebox software was horrible. Mine was a N1 so it didn't have any Hi-MD capabilities. I know last time i read about the minidisc world there were talks about usb uploading of mic recorded content. Before usb was only moving atrac content to minidisc. Then sony finally listened and started using mp3's instead of having to convert all your mp3's to atrac. Shortly after i bought my ipod (about 2 years ago) they starting allowing usb uploads from md to pc/mac. Before it was only one way, to md.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook 2.0ghz coeduo 1GB RAM 80 GB HD SuperDrive
@Thread

R U all iPod users or something? ;D

mostly i would bet. ipod+itunes integration is basically how all of os x runs:D

OP
BigD
Reaction score
Any update on mac software for the Sony RZ-MH1 minidisc? Really fancy it, but want to upload LP4 recordings to my Mac aswell as HD recordings (ala the PC software).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
Any update on mac software for the Sony RZ-MH1 minidisc? Really fancy it, but want to upload LP4 recordings to my Mac aswell as HD recordings (ala the PC software).

Do formats get much more dead than minidisc is at this point?
My friend had one and never used it... You couldn't even transfer the recordings back over usb.
why not use an iPod with a voice recording adapter?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook C2D 2.4 2GB
My friend had one and never used it... You couldn't even transfer the recordings back over usb.

Midisc systems where made with that intention in mind, you can record but not digitally transfer the music out, it was their way to deal with DRM.
I haven't used my minidisc in a while, the main problem i had was the ATRAC system, it is great (better than MP3 IMHO) but not as compatible. I'm pretty sure there should be some other options around that work with MP3, Sony as far as i know is not too kind with OSX.
In case you don't know this site: http://www.minidisc.org/index.php you may be able to find better answers there.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
Yeah, more's the pity as it was a great format otherwise:
I had one of the original sharp players and they were miles better than discman players for music on the go...

But buying one today is like buying a HD-DVD player: You're buying into a dead format. Finding content and blank discs will just get harder and harder and your wife will have to capture her recordings back to the computer in real time if she ever wants to do any editing...

OP
BigD
Reaction score
@Aptmunich

Sony are selling the new Hi-MD minidiscs in enough numbers to continue support. They are selling them with Digital editing and field recording in mind, an area where the minidisc still retains a significant advantage over the iPod.

I recently received an email back from Sony in regards to my grievance over PCs being better supported than the Mac. This was the response I recieved and is a bit diappointing really :-(

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dear BigD

I am sorry to learn that the software recommended in my previous communication does not meet your requirements.

Although I understand that this is frustrating for you, we have sold many MZ-RH1 units, and have had positive feedback from our customers regarding this product. Sony United Kingdom Limited does attempt to meet, and often exceed, our customers' expectations.

Having said this, it is with regret that on some occasions a product may not suit each individual's specific requirements. While we are unable to assist directly on this occasion, I have logged your case with us as a complaint and as such, this will automatically get fed back to the products designers. Whilst they will not look to contact you directly as a result of this, you can be sure that at least your view on this will be recognised.

Regrettably I do not have any information relating to the possible release of future software updates for this product.

I apologise for any disappointment that this may cause.

Yours sincerely

Nicholas Burbridge
Customer Information Centre
SONY UNITED KINGDOM LTD

Sony United Kingdom Limited, a company registered in England and Wales.
Registered office: The Heights, Brooklands, Weybridge, Surrey, KT13 0XW
Registered company number: 2422874

---------------Original Message----------------
Sent: 26 March 2008 18:06
To: Sony Incoming
Subject: Re: RE: Reference: 213521844

Dear Sony

I already have this transfer software and it states:

"You can import audio data recorded in Linear PCM, Hi-SP or Hi-LP mode on the Macintosh-compatible Hi-MD Walkman to a Macintosh computer after converting to WAV format audio data.(1)"

So, although transfer is possible it's only if it is recorded in PCM, Hi-SP or Hi-LP formats, NOT standard SP, LP2 and LP4 formats! This feature is available for the PC and I was wondering why it still hasn't been included in the Mac software nearly a year and a half after release of the MZ-RH1?

Regards,
BigD

OP
BigD
Reaction score
Is anyone else bothered that although Sony are now supporting the Mac with MiniDisc Transfer Software, they have released a sub-standard set of specifications compared to the PC. How much effort would it take to upgrade the specs of the software to be in line with the PC version?

OP
BigD
Reaction score
Got a MZ-RH1 Minidisc Recorder!

Bought one this month!!!! My wifes very happy with it and used it to record some interviews with some Christian Rock bands playing in the local Cathedral tonight- v cool ;-) A doddle to upload to Mac as WAV files (5 minutes for 700mb of wav sound files) and then edit in Audacity. Cool bit of kit. Sad Sony won't upgrade the software in line with the PC software features but hey still pleased :) Would recommend!!!

OP
BigD
Reaction score
The MZ-RH1 4.1/2 years on!

4 and 1/2 years on and I've got the MZ-RH1 uploading my LP2 and LP4 minidiscs to my Mac! All is not lost and I've basically future proofed my music collection by giving me the option to copy my old Minidisc onto another MP3 player if I want to.

How did I do it you ask? VM Fusion 5 and an old copy of Windows XP. Sometimes to get features companies only build into the Windows version of their CE software you have to run Windows on your Mac.

The MZ-RH1 Minidisc is still going strong for field recordings and my wife helped collect vox-pops for a Christmas feature using it. The final feature was eventually broadcast on a string of local radios round the UK on Christmas Eve! I was so impressed with her machine that I got one myself for my birthday last year (probably my last chance to buy a MiniDisc player :-(). It is really great build quality and will outlast my mum's iPod Nano for sure.

I get the feeling iPods are more fashion symbols than great products. The Nano doesn't even have AM on the radio to listen to BBC Radio 5live (sport radio) even though my old MZ-G755 Minidisc had both AM & FM back in 2002!

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
4 and 1/2 years on...

YIKES...it's not very often someone posts back in one of their own threads 4+ years later!!!:)

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBookPro 11,2 <--DAW!!!
VM Fusion 5 and an old copy of Windows XP.

I was thinking of this combo as I was reading your posts until I noticed it was from 4 years ago. :Oops:

There is also the free app Wineskin to run PC programs on a Mac

OP
BigD
Reaction score
@Thread

Since the prerequisite 4 years have passed (5 years actually this time ;)), I thought I'd update you all on my Hi-MD MiniDisc endeavours.

Since Apple in their infinite wisdom put Rosetta PPC emulation out to pasture 'Sony's Hi-MD Music Transfer' software has been technically impossible to run on modern Intel Mac systems as Sony had no intention of updating it past Version 2.0 or adding the standard MD PC importing features present on the PC Sonic Stage software (works under a Windows XP Virtual Machine and is the perfect way to backup or transfer standard MDs in faster than real time over USB as WAVs). However, the Mac only Hi-MD Music Transfer was a nice simple program (far more so than Sonic Stage or iTunes) that allowed owners of the Hi-MD capable MZ-RH1 (the best portable MD player ever released) to easily drag MP3s into a track listing window representing the connected MZ-RH1 with 1GB Hi-MD disc inserted and basically use it as portable MP3 player without the faff of more complicated programs.

Well I've been experimenting with VMWare Fusion and Snow Leopard Server Edition and I can announce that 'Hi-MD Music Transfer Version 2.0' is compatible :Cool: It's caused me some grief getting it running and cost me a wiped Hi-MD (which I could easily repopulate with the same MP3s luckily) but it works for both importing and exporting. There is some start-up lag after the GUI command is given to transfer music from the Mac Virtual Machine to the MZ-RH1 but as long as your patient (30 seconds to a minute) Rosetta does her thing!

The main problem to get it to run is that I had to set up Snow Leopard Server Edition to open in 32-bit kernel mode (64-bit by default). After I did this all the odd behaviour, unresponsiveness and freezing stopped and the app ran normally albeit with the lag initiating the transfer to the MZ-RH1.

I hope this is useful to someone. I know Mac users are...
A) Supposed to love Apple's dumping of legacy software in general, despite what an amazing technical accomplishment software like Rosetta was to ease the transition to Intel and run PPC software at close to native speed!
B) Supposed to unquestionably use iPhones/iPod Touches to play their music now that regular iPods are no longer sold!

... but I really like the MiniDisc format and the players' functionality to be both portable sound recorders and portable MP3 players all in one! The sound quality is still amazing to this day and I guess I just like the concept of making 'mix tapes' or 'mix MDs' rather than soulless digital playlists. I also like swapping MDs with my wife when we're on holiday and I just like the form factor and tactile nature of the discs. I'm not bitter that Sony no longer sells them as all technology has its day in the sun (Amiga we salute you), but if I still enjoy using something I am not just going to give up on it just because Apple tries to force me to. Long live personal choice and three cheers for VMWare and Rosetta!

P.S. IMHO defying Apple's way of doing things if it doesn't suit is truly abiding by the 'Think Different' mantra ;) No doubt more people will agree with me when Apple 'ban' people from running their 32-bit software in the next macOS iteration :[

Last edited:

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Have to tell you.... I'm amazed that you took the time to post back and update your thread that's going on 11 years old! What's even more amazing is that you remembered how to log on with your user name and password. :)

OP
BigD
Reaction score
Yeah, in all honesty it was only because I own the great Mac 'Wallet' app that I remembered the password! Since I hadn't logged in for so long the website wanted me to reset my password! It was worth it though to help other people get old software working and demonstrate other cool uses for Macs. For the record AnimWebConverter is another program that was never ported from PPC to Universal or Intel binaries and that works under Rosetta on virtual machine too! That program transfers Commodore Amiga computer ANIM files (the file type that Electronic Arts' amazing Deluxe Paint series saved its animations files to) to AVI files enabling my Amiga animation to be imported into iMovie :Cool:

As I say; 'Think Different' ;)

OP
BigD
Reaction score
The system is working well. Being able to use SonicStage on my Windows XP virtualisation and the simpler 'drag and drop' system on the Mac app Hi-MD Music Transfer 2.0 using Snow Leopard are both very useful tools to have. It's overkill to have access to Windows XP, Windows 7, Snow Leopard Server, Mountain Lion and El Capitan on a single Mac but if Apple keep trying to make it difficult to maintain backwards compatibility then it is what is required.

I have to play Elite Dangerous on Windows 7 because of the OpenCL / OpenGL debacle and over reliance on Metal that Apple have forced through to the detriment of game development. I have to use Snow Leopard Server to run my favourite PPC app 'AnimWebConverter', Windows XP for converting over my MiniDiscs to be used in iTunes using SonicStage, Mountain Lion for anything creative (becasue Adobe phased out the 'CS' suite and I refuse to embrace the subscription model) and El Capitan for (fairly) modern browsing and security but still with the ability to run Office 2008 (but not iDVD reliably :Angry:) which is the last version without the infernal time waster that is 'the ribbon'! With macOS post-Mojave phasing out 32-bit apps completely (iDVD is 32-bit) I probably now view this machine as my stepping stone back into the PC world. iMovie and iDVD were the killer apps that got me into the Mac platform in a big way but Premiere Pro / Encore are great, 64-bit and also available on the PC.

There are no killer apps left in the Apple Mac ecosystem and Apple seems to want the Mac to adopt iOS and for all 'Pro' users to go away. OpenCL/GL being phased out was the last straw. It the final statement to the world that Apple don't want Mac to be used to play games other than iOS native glorified phone ones! How the mighty has fallen.

Some of us want to own our own software, use iDVD when it suits us, use a Blu-Ray once in a while and want to play a bout of Starcraft 2, Bioshock or Elite Dangerous when the mood takes us. On all fronts Apple is moving away from these markets. It's not so much 'Think Different' now as 'Think the way we do or get lost'! I think give it a couple of years and I'll get lost :( Maybe I'll buy Cuphead on the Mac as a final hurrah - only the Metal API makes it possible ;)

Last edited:

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.