Help - What do i need

Reaction score
I am going to university in 9 days and have just discovered that the internet connection in my room is a wireless one. I've never played with wireless before and i don't know what i'm doing. Also information on Mac wireless technology seems a bit thin on the ground.

I have a Mac Pro and I have no idea whether it can have Airport cards or airport extreme or if its already got one.
Basically what do i need and how do i find out what it already has?

Quick help would be apreciated as i have to get this before i go to Uni.

Thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.16GHz C2D MacBook w/ 2GB RAM & 120GB HD. HTC Droid Incredible.
You already posted this here. Please take the time to read the rules since "cross-posting" is not allowed here. :)

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Which model Mac Pro do you have? If you click on the Blue Apple in the top left of the Toolbar and then on About This Mac, then on More Info. Then click on Airport and see if it's installed. It will be under Network more toward the bottom of the list. If no Airport shows up, you don't have WiFi.

You can get the card from Apple I believe or have them install it. There are other ways, but that is what I would do.

Edit: I just checked Apple Store and the Mac Pro does not come stock with Airport installed. You have to ask for it when you order it, so I doubt your machine has it.

OP
F
Reaction score
Cheers. My only issue is it says on the apple website that the airport extreme card is not compatible with Mac Pro.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Cheers. My only issue is it says on the apple website that the airport extreme card is not compatible with Mac Pro.

Re-Read my post. I added some more info. The Airport Extreme card you are seeing is not for the Mac Pro. The Mac Pro takes a special card. I will see if I can find more info but you might need to contact Apple.

Edit, here you go.

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/AirCardMP/

Also if you are a brave one, check this URL.

http://meanderingpassage.com/2007/0...-an-airport-extreme-card-in-an-intel-mac-pro/

OP
F
Reaction score
Thanks alot. I'm gunna contact the place I got it from and see what they can do. If all else fails i'll get one online and do it my self.

Thanks for all your help.

Reaction score
'kay..didn't know if i should make another thread or not, but for me under network, it says airport card, and when i highlight that.... it says this...

what does that mean? (0s meaning i didn't get one?)

Wireless Card Type: AirPort Extreme (0x168C, 0x87)
Wireless Card Locale: USA
Wireless Card Firmware Version: 1.1.9.3
Current Wireless Network: wireless network not available

my mac pro just arrived a few days ago & it's been about 3 weeks from when i ordered it...i already forget what (if any) customization i asked for...

thanks for your help!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.