burt up magnetic charger cord?!

Reaction score
a couple days ago i noticed that my charger cord thingy, like right by the magnetic part, had a hole starting to burn through it.

here's a crappy picture of it:
Photo6.jpg

now whenever i try to use it it doesn't always work. i have to mess around with it. it seems like it's getting worse little by little. so i'm guessing it's not gonna last much longer!

up until i noticed this, i pretty much had my laptop plugged in at all times. i've noticed that sometimes it feels hot around that area where the hole got burnt through it, when it's plugged in. but sometimes it doesn't.

has anyone else ever had this happened?! does apple care cover this at all?! there's a mac store on the other side of town, about 25 minutes away, so if I'm getting it replaced by apple care, can I get it replaced there or do they have to ship it out?

Reaction score
oh man, thats not to good. I have never seen this. But i am positive this is covered under warranty. Should easilly be able to get it replaced for free as long as you are still covered.

OP
D
Reaction score
ok awesome! I'll call the mac store tomorrow. I should have done it sooner. I don't know why I didn't! I guess I wasn't sure if it would be covered or not so I was just being lazy...

Reaction score
well the warranty covers manufacture defect. as far as i can see, as long as that wasn't actually you taking a zippo to it, it should definately be covered. thats kindof dangerous. Might have been able to mess with your laptop charge or something. I would replace it pretty soon.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Take it back to Apple right now. That is a problem that happens off and on and for sure is covered. You do have Apple Care correct?

Reaction score
get a new one, even if you have to pay for it. I imagine it would be dangerous for both your computer and yourself (if you go playing around with it).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP - 2.66Ghz Core 2 duo, 4GB Ram, 320GB HDD, Geforce 9400m + 9600M GT (256mb)
Mine recently did something similar, and although i was out of warranty (by 5 days?!) they have sent me out a replacement part anyway :)

Apple tech support are pretty good with this sort of thing so im sure they can sort it out for you!

~~ TS ~~

Reaction score
This is starting to occur more and more... I smell a class action lawsuit. If someone's house burns down, Apple could be in big trouble...

I have actually started feeling that area of my MagSafe adaptor since I got my MacBook more and more :p

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook 2.16gHz 1GB ram white, 60GB iPod Photo
This happened to my Powerbook power cord. It actually started smoking and a black mark appeared on the cord. I took it back to the Apple Store and they looked a little concerned because they hadn't seen it before. However, they replaced it for free (thanks to AppleCare) with no problems.

OP
D
Reaction score
OK I talked to Apple and my new charger is gonna be mailed to me in 3-4 business days. They said they were gonna put a rush on it, so it could come sooner if I'm lucky. Luckily I have Apple Care, cuz otherwise it would have been $72!!!!!!!!

I'm kinda bummed I couldn't just pick it up in the store, but oh well...

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score
i've been wondering about this.

i've got a theory that it could be caused by debris. you introduce just a bit of resistance into that coupling, which seems very easy to do, and you may overheat the connection and nearby wire.

so far, every time i've had to reconnect the cable i've checked both the end of the cable and the jack on the macbook to make sure they were clear. i've only found a small bit of something on there once, and i'm very careful not to leave the cable loose on the floor or anywhere dusty. it could have been enough if i'd left it to do some damage, i suppose. so far though, my cable is good :)

OP
D
Reaction score
I got my new charger today! We called them Saturday evening about it, and now it's Tuesday. So, that was pretty quick! I'm impressed. :D Yesterday I got an email saying it had JUST been mailed to me from Pennsylvania. On the label it says: Service EXP so I'm guessing that means it was expedited?

Well, either way, I'M EXCITED! I can charge my computer without propping it up a certain way with a thing of sticky notes. lol

That was so annoying. ;-)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sooper Fast!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.