• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Wacky Debug message when trying to install tiger..

Reaction score
Trying to install a copy of tiger, and as per a board member's suggestion, I located another set of discs for it. These came with a friend of mine's powerbook, and have never been used, so I'm hoping they are good. Put the CD in, open her up, reboot, and it starts to read the CD, then kicks this HUGE error message. And with no ability to use the keyboard, or mouse as it's still in open firmware mode(I think). But the background is an icon with several different languages on it, top being english, telling me I need to reboot the computer, but the text of the error message is overlaid on top of it. Very strange. Perhaps I'll take a picture and post it up here so you all can see.

Seems like the gist of the error message is that it's saying it cannot find a debug file for something or another. Seems strange...anybody run into something like this before? I am thinking of trying the firewire install as well, putting my rig into target disk mode, but want to also make sure it isn't going to fubar the computer I connect it to. Any thoughts?

Steve

OP
S
Reaction score
Ok, took some quick pictures, excuse the poor quality, but I think it gets you guys/gals an idea of what I'm looking at.

Steve

DSCF1443.jpg

DSCF1444.jpg

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
That my friend is a Kernel Panic. Most of the Install CD/DVD's that ship with a Mac is for that model and that model only. That could be the reason for the Kernel Panic, but it could be hardware related. Not sure on that DVD, but see if you can find the Apple HardWare test and run it.

Remember it could just be the wrong install DVD for that machine. Your machine is an iBook G4 correct?

Those are GREAT pics and told us just what we need to know. What do the Install CD's DVD's say on the label? What color is the label?

Could you snap a pic of the Tiger CD?

OP
S
Reaction score
Kernel Panic, I just like the sound of that. :D

The discs are green in color, and not from the G4 that I have, but from a newer Powerbook Pro..thing, forget the total name and specs on it. Which is probably the issue here, which would make sense. I don't have a picture of the cds, but can get one perhaps tomorrow. And on the pictures in general, as they say, picture is worth a thousand words, I could try and explain that screen all day and still not get my point across, figured it'd be the easiest route.

Steve

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
I will almost bet if the machine has PRO in the title it's a Macbook Pro. That is an Intel Mac and the DVD's will not run on a G4 Power PC Mac like your iBook. If you want Tiger on that iBook I suggest you check Ebay for a Tiger 10.4 Full Install. That will install on any PPC machine at least a G3 with Firewire ports and a DVD drive.

Hope that helps!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.