Which NEW iPod did/will you purchase?

Reaction score
it is a good point - one made by macworld as well. i tend to agree. though i would have chosen not to be such a donkey when making the point.

A very good point indeed... any workaround ideas?. Hee Haww! ;)

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
My answer is simple, do not purchase a Touch or an iPhone either are since they are inferior units, To SOME at least. Get what works for you. I have a feeling though that the Click Wheel will go the way of DOS, Floppy's and Serial ports and the touch screen will be the wave of the future. Just looks like it's heading that way.

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score
i really do think it will be an issue for some people. and if i were in the market for a new mp3 player this would have to be a consideration. if the player were to be used for a lot of activities, i'd rule out the touch for sure. but if my primary functions would be to use it as a pda/laptop alternative and/or to watch movies as much as listen to music, then it would be in the running. it's all about function, which form should follow.

Reaction score
My answer is simple, do not purchase a Touch or an iPhone either are they are inferior units, at least to some. Get what works for you. I have a feeling though that the Click Wheel will go the way of DOS, Floppy's and Serial ports and the touch screen will be the wave of the future. Just looks like it's heading that way.

I agree. Maybe some kind of tactile, transparent skin for the screen, with embossed rough areas that match up to the transport buttons on screen, will work. That would detract from the whole point of the smooth glass I suppose, but hey - it's a horse for a course, and I don't plan on riding this particular philly!.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
Why would you drink Starbucks coffee...? That stuff is like mud....

Amen to that. Even their hot chocolate is disgusting... :(

Why would you want to be able to change songs on the iPod Touch while it's in your pocket? Then you wouldn't have an excuse to whip it out for everyone to see how cool you are!! ;P

Now I'm not sure if the Touch will offer this functionality, but with the iPhone, there is a little button on the headphones wire that lets you skip and pause music, as well as answer phone calls. Perhaps the Touch will come with these same headphones so you can skip forward with a simple touch (no pun intended). Now if you want to bring up third-party headphones, there are adapters available that add the single button functionality.

Speaking of buttons, anybody remember that tiny remote that used to come with iPods? They were so neat. I think I may still have the one that came with my 3G iPod sitting around somewhere....

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
I was in a way being sarcastic. Notice I said "At least to Some"?

I do see your point but at the same time love the interface of the iPhone and iPod touch. The thing I like about the wheel is changing the volume in my pocket in case someone talks to me so I can turn it down really fast. With the wheel it's easy as can be. That I will miss but I love the new interface.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminum iMac 2.8GHz
how are you gonna know where the controls are, when your iPod Touch is buried deep in your pocket?!

Don't know. But in the 3 years I've owned iPods, I've only done that with a shuffle. Never controlled my main iPod while in pocket, nor do I really put it in my pocket.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I know you won't be able to do that on the Touch, but adjusting the volume on the iPhone is just as easy as the scroll wheel. Just use the two button rocker on the left side of the phone. Hold the down button for a second or two and the volume practically goes to mute.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I know you won't be able to do that on the Touch, but adjusting the volume on the iPhone is just as easy as the scroll wheel. Just use the two button rocker on the left side of the phone. Hold the down button for a second or two and the volume practically goes to mute.

I wonder how you change the volume on the touch? Anyone here own one as yet?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The Touch won't be out till the 28th, so I doubt anybody here has gotten their hands on it yet.

But judging by the lack of buttons on the device itself, it would seem the only way to adjust the volume would be to do it manually (i.e. use the volume slider on the screen)

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The Touch won't be out till the 28th, so I doubt anybody here has gotten their hands on it yet.

But judging by the lack of buttons on the device itself, it would seem the only way to adjust the volume would be to do it manually (i.e. use the volume slider on the screen)

OPPS! Forgot all about that! Guess we will have to wait to find out. :D

BIG OPPS!

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Reaction score
There is no 8 core iMac.

That was me being sarcastic - lame I know, but I can't believe you didn't pick up on it. (awaits clever and humorous reply, with subtle hints of superiority included). Anyhow, I am off to bed; would love to sit around and wait for a clever response, but I cannot be bothered. Night all!. :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Wow, that was such an amazing joke. Have I mentioned that you're an imbecile? Oh yes, I believe I have...

I believe that fulfills the requirements of the post you were awaiting

Reaction score
Wow, that was such an amazing joke. Have I mentioned that you're an imbecile? Oh yes, I believe I have...

I believe that fulfills the requirements of the post you were awaiting
You so ain't worth it. Press ignore, and do me a favour.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
Why on earth would anyone here do you a favor?

You've been nothing but argumentative, contentious and insulting since you entered this thread. To be honest, your CS3 PS skills are mediocre at best, my 12 year old can do better than that....

B&O

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP i7, Mac Mini & iPhone 3G.
I was only going to buy the iPhone for the web browsing but I can use the ipod and buy the B&O phone instead, when the new one comes out.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.