switching dvd drives on mac mini

Reaction score
I have 2 mac minis. One is an older G4model with a super drive. The newer one is a intel based model but it only has a combo drive. How hard would it be to swap these drives. I really don't need the dvd burner on the g4 since it is used as a media center pc. The intel I plan to do some basic video editing on then burn them to dvds. I really dont want to have to buy an external dvd burner.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac pro Quad Xeon; 15" Retina Macbook Pro; macbooks (family); Macbook pro 17"; intel & G4 iMacs.
I have 2 mac minis. One is an older G4model with a super drive. The newer one is a intel based model but it only has a combo drive. How hard would it be to swap these drives. I really don't need the dvd burner on the g4 since it is used as a media center pc. The intel I plan to do some basic video editing on then burn them to dvds. I really dont want to have to buy an external dvd burner.

The hardest part (which isnt hard) is opening the cases to have a look! There is an alternative though why not fire up the old computer in Target mode and use its DVD. If they were mine though I would open them both and have a look!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
See Sig...
You may or may not run into problems with just swapping the drives, I don't really know. I've never tried it, nor have I ever heard of anyone trying it. But, there's a couple of things that you're going to need to look into (or find out the hard way after opening both of them up):
-Are both drives the same interface standard? Some new optical drives (including, I think, some slim drives) are running off a SATA interface. It wouldn't be implausible for Apple to have switched from IDE to SATA when they swapped to PC hardware...
-What about firmware? There are some desktop PC drives that will drop right in and work on a Mac (a bunch of Lite-Ons, various Pioneers, etc.) but I'm not sure how a drive that was set up to boot on an Open Firmware system will deal with talking to an EFI system... there's a good chance that it could work just fine, but there's a chance that it may just refuse to talk to the drive.

Have you looked around to see if anyone has tried this before?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Quad 2.8GHz Mac Pro, Edge iPhone
The two are 100% compatable. Go to macsales.com
You can buy one for $100. Sometimes they also have directions on how do this stuff yourself.
-Peace

OP
J
Reaction score
I guess the thing to do is just do the swap. Both are IDE so maybe its a few hour project on the weekend for me. I have opened up the mini's case before to upgrade the ram. I just didn't know if the firmware would be different or not. Thanks for your help.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.