Steve Jobs: $100 credit for iPhone owners

Reaction score
From Steve Jobs:
"Therefore, we have decided to offer every iPhone customer who purchased an iPhone from either Apple or AT&T, and who is not receiving a rebate or any other consideration, a $100 store credit towards the purchase of any product at an Apple Retail Store or the Apple Online Store. Details are still being worked out and will be posted on Apple's website next week. Stay tuned."

Complete letter: http://www.apple.com/hotnews/openiphoneletter/

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook 2.0ghz coeduo 1GB RAM 80 GB HD SuperDrive
this is why we love apple so much :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac's
Absolutely AMAZING!!!!

I am now thoroughly astounded with Steve Jobs and Apple.

They are giving back $$MILLIONS and MILLIONS of dollars to make folks happy and loyal.

Tech prices (especially phones) fall... it's how it works. To give $100 back is to EVERY customer simply amazing.

WOW!!!!!!!!!

JRV

Reaction score
Wake up people! This sucks. They are only giving back $100 of the $200 price drop and it is a store credit. They know that most people will end up spending more money at Apple stores because of this credit. Don't be fooled! They will end up making money from this.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D, 2Ghz, 2 GB RAM, 120 GB HD, ipod nano 8GB, 500GB MyBook
Wake up people! This sucks. They are only giving back $100 of the $200 price drop and it is a store credit. They know that most people will end up spending more money at Apple stores because of this credit. Don't be fooled! They will end up making money from this.

I was thinking kind of the same thing...not that it "sucks" necessarily, but that it is not exactly "giving back" $100 to everyone. The revenue is still going directly back to Apple, and what are you going to buy with $100 from Apple? Most likely use it towards one of the new ipods maybe?

Still, more than they had to do.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminum iMac 2.8GHz

I didn't realize it costs nothing for Apple to make their products, 100% profit margin. That's good business!

JRV

Reaction score
I didn't realize it costs nothing for Apple to make their products, 100% profit margin. That's good business!

It is obvious you don't understand business tactics at all. Apple isn't refunding money. It is a store credit.

Apple can A) not refund anything at all and make everyone mad which will probably keep them out of Apple stores for a bit or B) Offer a $100 store credit to lure people back to make more purchases.

You don't get it? Electronics are made dirt cheap and sold high. Apple could hand out store credits like water and not lose a dime. They still make a lot of money in the end.

Reaction score
It just means that I spent $100 more for my iPhone and get Leopard when it is available.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac's
It is obvious you don't understand business tactics at all. Apple isn't refunding money. It is a store credit.

Apple can A) not refund anything at all and make everyone mad which will probably keep them out of Apple stores for a bit or B) Offer a $100 store credit to lure people back to make more purchases.

You don't get it? Electronics are made dirt cheap and sold high. Apple could hand out store credits like water and not lose a dime. They still make a lot of money in the end.

You should read up on the subject a bit more.....

Electronics as a retail category has one of the lowest (if not the very lowest) profit margin rates of any category.

You want high profit margins??.... try Hair accessories! :D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminum iMac 2.8GHz

You really are clueless aren't you? Stop before it gets too embarrassing.
Profit margins on cutting edge electronics are not very good. If all these people bought a $300 item from Apple, it's still $100 less profit that they would have gotten. So, even in your red-skied world where profit margins are 100%, they still lose money.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 MDD dual 1ghz, 2 gigs RAM; 5.5G iPod, 2G iPod Shuffle
They didn't have to do anything.

Unless you are an idiot, you realized the price would drop. $100 at the Apple store could buy many useful things, such as the iSkin for said iPhone.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2 GHz Black Intel Core Duo Macbook, 2 GB Ram, 100 GB HD, 60 GB black iPod Video, 8 GB iPhone
Does anyone know if this store credit would be able to be used on a repair? Or do you have to buy an actual product?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
This is great, I can get the Leopard Family Pack for essentially half price!! :D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 8x3.0ghz 12gb ram 8800GT , MBP 2.16 2GB Ram 17 inch.
id say it'd be actual products and itunes not repairs, but you most certainly can ask.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
8 Gb iPhone/MacBook 2.2 Ghz/G5 iMac/ 8Gb iPod touch
yeh i also would prefer $$$$$$$ not store credit but i need to get some stuff from there anyway so better something than nothin i gues ????

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15", 3.06 GHz, 4GB DDR3 SDRAM, 500GB SATA hard drive, 8gb iPhone
If only Leopard was released on september and not October! could've put thi credit towards leopard.. :D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac's
NPR called it the iPology. :Smirk:

Clever!

The more I think about it the more I begin to think Apple had this planned from the get go... maybe????

Apple's version of the Coke "Classic" campaign.

Reaction score
This is stupid, everyone knew the price would go down and for those who bought it early they obviously didn't mind paying 600 so why should they be mad about 200 dollars which they could have afforded anyway. Not to mention it's a first generation phone and it's just stupid to buy those anyway. I mean it's business new product high price if you don't like it don't buy it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminum iMac 2.8GHz
Clever!

The more I think about it the more I begin to think Apple had this planned from the get go... maybe????

Apple's version of the Coke "Classic" campaign.

I thought about that, too. Not sure if I would've planned something that could drop stock prices, though.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.