Steve Jobs: $100 credit for iPhone owners

Reaction score
Even though it's store credit, I'm amazed Apple gave us anything. I can't complain. ;)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
This is stupid, everyone knew the price would go down and for those who bought it early they obviously didn't mind paying 600 so why should they be mad about 200 dollars which they could have afforded anyway. Not to mention it's a first generation phone and it's just stupid to buy those anyway. I mean it's business new product high price if you don't like it don't buy it.

You're not getting it. Of course people knew prices were going to go down. But they didn't expect the price to be slashed by a THIRD just TWO MONTHS after the release. If it happened in six months or later, then it wouldn't have been such a big deal. But such a big cut so soon ticked off a lot of people who wouldn't have minded waiting the month or so

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminum iMac 2.8GHz
But if the early adopters wait, the price slash would probably have to wait, too. We rely on them for investing in the technology so prices can be slashed in the first place.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac's
I thought about that, too. Not sure if I would've planned something that could drop stock prices, though.

Agreed... Apple lost about $4 BILLION in share value after the Steve Jobs $100 give away letter... Who knows if they are directly related entirely, but it has to account for at least some of the drop.

Oh the roller coaster ride that is Wall Street. :D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Quad 2.8GHz Mac Pro, Edge iPhone
I will gladly take $100 store credit. That's 2/3rd's the cost of 10.5 or video Nano, or a free bluetooth keyboard plus some extra change, or any other cool Apple products.
If you would rather have cash, buy something from the store and sell it on Craigslist or eBay.
I'm stoked!
-Peace

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 MDD dual 1ghz, 2 gigs RAM; 5.5G iPod, 2G iPod Shuffle
You're not getting it. Of course people knew prices were going to go down. But they didn't expect the price to be slashed by a THIRD just TWO MONTHS after the release. If it happened in six months or later, then it wouldn't have been such a big deal. But such a big cut so soon ticked off a lot of people who wouldn't have minded waiting the month or so

Early adopters didn't seem to mind flashing around their $600 phones when they got them. Seems they thought the price was fair at the time.

I see it as their problem for needing to have it first. The rest of us were patient and saved some money, but of course we didn't get the ability to flash around an iPhone the day after they were released. Oh well, have fun with the store credit, as that's far more than the early adopters deserve :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2 GHz Black Intel Core Duo Macbook, 2 GB Ram, 100 GB HD, 60 GB black iPod Video, 8 GB iPhone
Early adopters didn't seem to mind flashing around their $600 phones when they got them. Seems they thought the price was fair at the time.

I see it as their problem for needing to have it first. The rest of us were patient and saved some money, but of course we didn't get the ability to flash around an iPhone the day after they were released. Oh well, have fun with the store credit, as that's far more than the early adopters deserve :)

Personally, I didn't want it to "flash it around," I wanted it because I was interested in the device itself and its features...the only reason I bought it day one was because I assumed it would be at least a year before the price was slashed, and really didn't want to wait that long. Then, just 2 months later, they cut the price, that's what's so annoying. I expected the price to go down, but if I knew it would be a mere 2 months, I would definitely have waited. I'm satisfied that they were good enough to give us the credit though, so I'm happy.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
White MacBook, Intel Core 2 Duo
this is great

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
C2D 27" W/ MAGIC MOUSE,iPhone 3GS
How is the sound quality on the iphone 8GB?I have heard that it really sucks.I was going to buy one now that they are 399.99.Is the camera good quality?
Please inform me.
Regards

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2 GHz Black Intel Core Duo Macbook, 2 GB Ram, 100 GB HD, 60 GB black iPod Video, 8 GB iPhone
How is the sound quality on the iphone 8GB?I have heard that it really sucks.I was going to buy one now that they are 399.99.Is the camera good quality?
Please inform me.
Regards

If you're wearing the headphones, obviously the sound quality is great...maybe you mean the speaker? In that case, yeah it's not that good for music, but that's because the speaker is made to be for basic things like ringing or hearing speech on a youtube video. I have found, though, if you turn the equalizer to "bass reducer" the speaker's quality greatly improves for playing music, since small speakers can't handle bass. And the camera is fantastic for a phone, 2.0 megapixel.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Quad 2.8GHz Mac Pro, Edge iPhone
And the camera is fantastic for a phone, 2.0 megapixel.

That doesn't mean it's high quality. It's really hit or miss depending on the lighting situation. There are no manual features like focus or exposure and I am not sure if these features are center weighted or averaged. I've gotten a few decent photos and a lot of useless photos.
-Peace

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Personally, I didn't want it to "flash it around," I wanted it because I was interested in the device itself and its features...the only reason I bought it day one was because I assumed it would be at least a year before the price was slashed, and really didn't want to wait that long. Then, just 2 months later, they cut the price, that's what's so annoying. I expected the price to go down, but if I knew it would be a mere 2 months, I would definitely have waited. I'm satisfied that they were good enough to give us the credit though, so I'm happy.
No i was actually talking about using the phone next to your ear and making calls.That sound quality.And i just downgraded from a 3.2Megapixel Camera phone(Nokia N93) but still own a N93i.When you are making a call does the screen smudge up to your face causing the phone to turn off from time to time?
I just ordered the phone last night and i want to know if its worth the 399.99 or not.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
That doesn't mean it's high quality. It's really hit or miss depending on the lighting situation. There are no manual features like focus or exposure and I am not sure if these features are center weighted or averaged. I've gotten a few decent photos and a lot of useless photos.
-Peace
Yeah, true, I guess what I was trying to say was compared to other phones I have had this camera is awesome.

No i was actually talking about using the phone next to your ear and making calls.That sound quality.And i just downgraded from a 3.2Megapixel Camera phone(Nokia N93) but still own a N93i.When you are making a call does the screen smudge up to your face causing the phone to turn off from time to time?
I just ordered the phone last night and i want to know if its worth the 399.99 or not.

The sound quality of calls sounds fine to me, no worse than other phones I have had, I guess I don't pay too much attention to things like that. As for the screen to your face, the phone has a sensor that knows to turn of the screen when it's up to your ear, so that you don't accidentally hit a button.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Cool.What about sim cards?Can you only register 1 sim card to the phone?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black MacBook Black 2GB iPod Nano & Black 80GB iPod Classic B&W G3 G4's - PowerMac & Cube
You really are clueless aren't you? Stop before it gets too embarrassing.
Profit margins on cutting edge electronics are not very good. If all these people bought a $300 item from Apple, it's still $100 less profit that they would have gotten. So, even in your red-skied world where profit margins are 100%, they still lose money.

Sorry to drag this back up, but I have another point to make. With some electronigs markets- namely Cell Phones(That's why I figured this was relevant) and Video Gaming- the manufacturers initially lost money on the deal. For example, even though Sony charged $600 for a PS3, they are still estimated to lose at least $240 per system sold. They make the money when they sell games. Same goes for cell phone companies. They make the money back through the plans, and the extra fluff: data plans, Blackberry plans, text plans, overages, etc...

Reaction score
I got my $100 credit and I already spent it. I know its ridiculous, but what can I do.

Reaction score
Sorry to drag this back up, but I have another point to make. With some electronigs markets- namely Cell Phones(That's why I figured this was relevant) and Video Gaming- the manufacturers initially lost money on the deal. For example, even though Sony charged $600 for a PS3, they are still estimated to lose at least $240 per system sold. They make the money when they sell games. Same goes for cell phone companies. They make the money back through the plans, and the extra fluff: data plans, Blackberry plans, text plans, overages, etc...

Well that only goes for cell phones that are free or have a large rebate. There have been numerous articles on the cost of building an iPhone, which is estimated to around $300. Now that doesn't cover the R&D on the product, but thats different from Sony losing money on their hardware.

And in case anyone doesn't know they are offering the credit now. Here is the page to put in the request.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.