Which one would you recommend

Reaction score
OK, here's my deal. I live in New York/Boston right now but in January I'll be going to Los Angeles for (probably a large bulk of the rest of my life). I have Verizon but my contract is up on Jan 4th.

I currently have a 4G ipod (20 gigs, not a video ipod). Before this event I told myself that if they released a touch screen ipod that I'd get it because it would no doubt have video.

HOWEVER, I didn't plan on them releasing it with such little space (16 gigs is not much). I have about 15 gigs already used up on my other ipod (which I've had for 3 yrs now and the battery life has substantially decreased).

I'd ultimately want the iPod touch with like 100 gigs of space (though my friends whos position is similar to what mine will be once I go to LA) says he only uses video at the gym and that he'd want a bigger screen (iphone/ipod touch) for watching videos.

My question is what should I do? I really want video. I'd love to have the iphone though the space is not much at all and it's AT&T. How is AT&T??

WHAT SHOULD I DO?!! HELP!!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
macbook/iphone/ipod nano/ipod shuffle
I have been a loyal att/cingular customer for years and plan on staying with them. I have yet to have a negative experience with them. I also have found when I have been in remote locations camping that cingular (it was still cingular then) had better reception then any other carrier. I was quite popular because if you weren’t on cingular then you had to walk a mile and climb a 500 foot hill to make a call

As far as what I would do in your situation if storage size is your biggest concern go with the ipod classic, I think it will be awhile before the touch hits 100+gb

now that the price has dropped i may be going with the iphone i am unable to fit all my music on 8gb but i will probably be tethering it to my comp everyday because i plan on using it as a pda and would want my contacts, and calendar synced everyday. when i sync it i can take 3 min and change the music if i want.

OP
A
Reaction score
Hmmmm, how long have you had AT&T? What area are you in (if you dont mind me asking)- for coverage purposes?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
C2D MacBook Pro
iPod touch and iPhone use flash memory. 100GB will be years from now. By then, it will be time to upgrade anyway.

8GB isn't bad. You just have to rotate your music. There is no way you can listen to that much music in one month.

Just go for it :p

OP
A
Reaction score
I'm so stuck. If wifi was easily accessible in like 90% of the places I'm traveling to/in/around etc. I'd go for the touch (maybe). Wifi is useless unless you're home or at your office and then theres a computer around...

My current iPod is 20 gigs and 15 gigs are used- I'd need at least 20 gigs on an iphone or ipod touch I think...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac's
I'm so stuck. If wifi was easily accessible in like 90% of the places I'm traveling to/in/around etc. I'd go for the touch (maybe). Wifi is useless unless you're home or at your office and then theres a computer around...

My current iPod is 20 gigs and 15 gigs are used- I'd need at least 20 gigs on an iphone or ipod touch I think...

It can be a tough self-debate.. I feel you man. but really if you need an iPhone now.. the 8gb would be great. Of the 15gb of music you have, how much do you REALLY listen to in between sync's with your computer?? I would guess, maybe 2 gb...

My guess (just a guess) is that Apple will roll-out a 16gb iPhone within the next two months... but you could be enjoying the iPhone now.

just my $0.02... good luck with your decision.

OP
A
Reaction score
Of the 15gb of music you have, how much do you REALLY listen to in between sync's with your computer?? I would guess, maybe 2 gb...

I know, but I delete the music off my computer after it goes onto my ipod (I do have it backed up on an external hard drive).

Also, my verizon contract doesnt end until early january so if I do go the iphone route I won't be getting one until then.

Hmmm......... ugghhh!!! this is so tough!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" intel iMac, 15" MBP, 3 X 13.3" MB (family etc), G4 tower, 12" G4 PowerBook, iBook G4, 20" iMacG5
Geez!

Chill out dude. If you really are that stuck, buy both instead of repeat posting every 10 minutes! You've got 4 months to decide!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
C2D MacBook Pro
Geez!

Chill out dude. If you really are that stuck, buy both instead of repeat posting every 10 minutes! You've got 4 months to decide!

Ya. 4 months is a long time. Much can happen in that time frame (just ask the people that bought the iPhone early *chuckle*).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminum iMac 2.8GHz
I know, but I delete the music off my computer after it goes onto my ipod (I do have it backed up on an external hard drive).

Also, my verizon contract doesnt end until early january so if I do go the iphone route I won't be getting one until then.

Hmmm......... ugghhh!!! this is so tough!!

Whoa. You have 15GB of music and delete it from iTunes after synching with your ipod? I would suggest changing that practice. If 15GB is bloating your hard drive, I would upgrade (they're dirt cheap these days). Keeping everything in synch is the best practice. That's what the iTunes/iPod system was designed for. Your ratings, statistics, (smart) playlists all stay intact.

OP
A
Reaction score
Whoa. You have 15GB of music and delete it from iTunes after synching with your ipod? I would suggest changing that practice. If 15GB is bloating your hard drive, I would upgrade (they're dirt cheap these days). Keeping everything in synch is the best practice. That's what the iTunes/iPod system was designed for. Your ratings, statistics, (smart) playlists all stay intact.

I'm a video editor/sfx compositer so I like to keep my computers hard drive as free as it can be (thats why I back up all my ipod stuff with iPod Access) and I keep mine on manual update in case I'd like to get music from other people's itunes.

NOW in terms of keeping everything "in sync"- let's be honest, how many ipods have you guys had either crash or die because you drop them? Or how many times have you heard people say "my ipod died?"

Luckily I've had my iPod for 3 years and its never had a problem or scare.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminum iMac 2.8GHz
I've had 2 different ones crash/die. And not from dropping them, either.

Hey, as long as you have the music backed up somewhere, you're safe. I would just think it's easier to manage if you add to it, and you'll be able to utilize statistics for smart playlists.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
macbook/iphone/ipod nano/ipod shuffle
to answer your question on service i live in fairfield CT but have traveled and used my phone problem free in New Mexico, Chicago(and subburbs), NYC (and subburbs), upsate NY, Florda (Miami and keys), Davenport, Dallas and the list goes on.

OP
A
Reaction score
to answer your question on service i live in fairfield CT but have traveled and used my phone problem free in New Mexico, Chicago(and subburbs), NYC (and subburbs), upsate NY, Florda (Miami and keys), Davenport, Dallas and the list goes on.

Interesting... I work in Boston now, home is originally Westchester County in New York but I go into Danbury and Ridgefield, CT a lot too...

hmmmm I'm going to pretty much move out to cali in January and I hear the service out there is pretty good.

hmmm....

WHY CANT THEY JUST GIVE TH IPHONE LIKE 30 GIGS!? hahaha It's so hard for me to decide which one to get. Does anyone else feel like this?

OP
A
Reaction score
Hmmm I'm thnking of getting an 8gig nano to see how I can deal with the 8 gigs of storage.

Anyone know when the new ipods will get discounted for students? Usually the ipods are $50 (or something like that) less for students...

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.