• This forum is for posting news stories or links from rumor sites. When you start a thread, please include a link to the site you're referencing.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM TO ASK "WHAT IF?" TYPE QUESTIONS.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM FOR ASKING QUESTIONS ABOUT HOW TO USE YOUR MAC OR SOFTWARE.

This is a NEWS and RUMORS forum as the name implies. If your thread is neither of those things, then please find the appropriate forum to ask your question.

If you don't have a link to a news story, do not post the thread here.

If you don't follow these rules, then your post may be deleted.

Looks like Jobs is apologizing for the iPhone price drop!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac 2.7GHz Core i5, iPhone 6, iPad Air 2, 4th gen Apple TV
For those saying "what's the big deal" go ahead and name 5 high-dollar tech devices that got a 33-40% price drop 2 months after it hit the stores, and not because they were a huge failure.

What I think happened is Apple saw sales of the iPhone dropping like a stone after those few who could actually afford and actually wanted the iPhone had made their purchase. Apple knew it had to do something drastic to whip people into another buying frenzy. Plus, they need to make room for a higher memory (16GB) version, which will likely be overpriced (probably $200 more compared to Touch's $100 more)

The $100 credit is unprecedented and a smart move on Apple's part. It's a $100 value to the people, but if you consider Apple has an average 50% markup on products, it'll only cost them $50 per credit, not to mention the extra induced purchases that may not have happened otherwise.

OP
Dimitri
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminum iMac 2.8GHz
Even if this is an extreme circumstance of what typically happens in the technology market, remember Apple is new to this market. It's clear their timing was off. They made a move they felt they had to make to keep iPhone saturating the market. I truly believe this benefits early adopters, not because of the credit, but because further saturation means better future options, accessories, services, etc. They made an investment by being early adopters, an investment in the technology, and this product's success should be important to them. This price drop can only help the product's success. I still think this was blown out of proportion and not some big conspiracy, any more than their other product releases.

Even at 50% markup, they're losing millions in revenue. And I bet anyone willing to pay $500+ for an iphone would've continued to shop at Apple. Clearly, reputation is very important to them.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" 2.8ghz MBP6,2(4gb) | 20" iMac | 1.8 & 2.0 Mini(4gb) | iPhone4 | iPad-4Wifi
Mac Break Weekly was talking about this. They mentioned that the iPhone has a 90 return policy. If that's true, this move might stop me, and other $599 iPhone buyers from returning the phone and buying it again.

I wonder if this in one per customer. Remember all those people that bought two, or somehow bought more than two thinking it was the next hot eBay item.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac mini w/ 2.33GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 2GB 667Mhz DDR2 SDRAM
Oh dear. I wonder if all the phones we bought here and sold overseas...oh man. ::goes to check reciepts::

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.2GHz Intel Core Duo processor, 120GB hard drive, 2GB RAM, 15" widescreen... pretty basic.
Wow I'm suprised yet not suprised. But all in all good news. Mr. Jobs does afterall have a heart.

Haha, to everyone who says he has a heart... you should rephrase that and say he has a brain. It's more like, "Hey, as Steve Jobs, how do I make even MORE MONEY?" Easy, I'll lower the price of the iPhone, get a TON of new customers, and give everyone who bought it before store credit.

$$$$$

The losses in profit were calculated to just a few cents per phone with the store credit that Apple has to cough up. This store credit is just another way to get even more money out of the customers who had already bought the phone at the $599 price!

Steve Jobs is a business man, not an angel. Let's say you all buy Leopard with your money and pay the extra difference. With the 5 cents that Apple loses in profits to get you this store credit, they are getting another $20-30 dollars for you to buy Leopard! Haha...

OP
Dimitri
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminum iMac 2.8GHz
The losses in profit were calculated to just a few cents per phone with the store credit that Apple has to cough up.

How exactly was this calculation obtained?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.2GHz Intel Core Duo processor, 120GB hard drive, 2GB RAM, 15" widescreen... pretty basic.
How exactly was this calculation obtained?

I can't remember which news site I found it on, but I'll look it up and post it here.

If you think about it, the profits on the iPhone were more than 100% because Apple was selling them for more than twice the production cost of the phone. Giving a $100 store credit (which I think is BS) is hardly a loss - especially when we can conservatively say that 50% of people are going to use it to buy things where they'll end up paying an extra difference.

What this boils down to is that Apple isn't doing anyone a favor, they are making even MORE money on people who overpaid on the iPhone (people like me.)

Edit: It looks like, if you do some searches, the 4GB iPhone cost $250 to produce and $280 for the 8GB. At $499 and $599, respectively, those iPhones made a ton of profit for Apple. Even the $100 store credit does nothing to hurt Apple. I mean, come on, would they really shoot themselves in the foot? Now, they've turned this act of "benevolence" into more profit raking.

OP
Dimitri
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminum iMac 2.8GHz
You're still only looking at profit margins, not profit losses. That $100 credit is $100 less than they could've made, regardless.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook 2.0ghz coeduo 1GB RAM 80 GB HD SuperDrive
you also forget distribution costs, advertising costs...etc

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac's
I can't remember which news site I found it on, but I'll look it up and post it here.

If you think about it, the profits on the iPhone were more than 100%.....

There is no such thing as 100% profit, unless the cost is Zero.... You are thinking 100% return which is "doubling up".... you buy something for $10, and sell it for $20... THAT's 100% return and 50% profit margin.

I won't get into how silly the idea is that Apple giving up $100 per phone really only equals "pennies"... lol. c'mon now. :D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2GHz/2GB/CD
As many people said above, if you are willing to pay $x for the price of the iPhone when it first came out, so be it. If the price drops down to $y after a few weeks, tough. Sure, I'd be sad, but it was my own choice to get it when it first came out.

That's my opinion.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
POS Dell right now. 2.8 ghz pentium 4 256mb RAM and 40GB HD
Now THAT'S customer service.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2GHz/2GB/CD
Or some pretty sweet marketing.

Reaction score
I'm very happy about the drop. And I don't feel that bad about overpaying if Im going to get some money back. I'm gonna use the money to get that small bluetooth headset. What are you guys going to use it for?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac mini w/ 2.33GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 2GB 667Mhz DDR2 SDRAM
Or some pretty sweet marketing.

Good Customer Service ALWAYS = Good Marketing

but

Good Marketing Does not = Good Customer Service

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
There is no such thing as 100% profit, unless the cost is Zero.... You are thinking 100% return which is "doubling up".... you buy something for $10, and sell it for $20... THAT's 100% return and 50% profit margin.

I won't get into how silly the idea is that Apple giving up $100 per phone really only equals "pennies"... lol. c'mon now. :D

I always knew I should be weary of anyone who was skeptical but says "lol."

The store credits will cost Apple about $60 million in revenue, based on about 600,000 iPhone owners, he said. That would subtract about 2 cents from profit, he said.

Source: http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=20601087&sid=a_EzlhuaE1Gs&refer=home

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.