PB G4 HDD data recovery

Reaction score
hello, i am in dire need of help. my powerbook g4 hard drive has failed and i need to recover data from it. my question is, how? i have access to a new imac and my PB now has a new HDD running OS X. is there any way to connect the failed HDD to the imac. i know with windows PCs you can put a failed HDD into a machine with a compatible file system and copy files. i would imagine this is possible with macs (im a mac noob). or maybe to put the failed HDD back in the PB and connect it to the imac via usb or ethernet? i am lost so any ideas would be helpful. thanks in advance.

Reaction score
You could by an external ATA enclosure for the drive and copy files that way. Or if the drive is still in the machine, boot into Target Disk Mode (holding T while booting) and use a firewire cable to connect to your iMac and copy that way.

If your drive won't mount with either method, the HD could be bad. Using Diskwarrior or Data Recovery II would be able to tell you if anything is salvagable.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.