Making the "switch"

G

geoffs

Hi, I have never owned a mac before but I have used them and from what I have seen I really like OSX and the new powerbooks. I currently have a dell inspiron 8500 but I want to ditch it in favor of a powerbook. I am looking for any input or info you guys might have, especially those that have been in my situation before.

My main issue with the dell is it is too big. I want a laptop computer, not a desktop replacement. I very seldom use my laptop at home so I don't need extreme performance. I don't play games or do any hardcore video/audio editing on my laptop. Mostly it would be a development machine so basically a word processor. :) For these reasons I was thinking of a 12" pbook but I am having a tough time finding reviews of the new 1.33ghz version. Earlier reviews I read of the 866 version noted that the LCD was pretty crappy and it got way to hot. Are these still issues? The 15" is also an option but I think it might be too big still.

Any help in what to expect, look out for, or reasons for going with the 15" over the 12" are appreciated. The other option is to hold onto the dell. I do like the 1920x1200 LCD a lot :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" iBook G3 900/640/40 _ _ Power Macintosh G3 All-In-One 315/768/20 _ _ 20 GB iPod
I think a 12" iBook would actually fit your needs just as well, and would be much more affordable. In fact, you might even want to check out the "Special Deals" section of the online Apple store, as they have a number of refurbished iBooks for great prices. You'll save even more money that you can spend on upgrades, accessories, software, etc...

OP
G

geoffs

I am not interested in an ibook, the two mac options are 12" or 15" powerbook.

OP
M

MickMAC

the 12 is super portable and if your just going to use if for word processing and browsing it will do just fine. The new models had all of the screen and heat issues taken care of. The get warm but not hot. I have the 17in and it is a desktop replacement... the 12 in is as sweet as they get for the travler who wants something that fits everywhere and weighs nothing...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" iBook G3 900/640/40 _ _ Power Macintosh G3 All-In-One 315/768/20 _ _ 20 GB iPod
geoffs said:
I want a laptop computer, not a desktop replacement. I very seldom use my laptop at home so I don't need extreme performance. I don't play games or do any hardcore video/audio editing on my laptop. Mostly it would be a development machine so basically a word processor.

Just out of curiosity, what has made you completely eliminate the iBook from your choices? None of what you mentioned above really shouts "PowerBook" IMO, but of course if that's what you want, you should by all means get one. I just don't necessarily think the added cost of the PB would be justified in this situation.

OP
G

geoffs

Well the main reason is I am a vanity *****...I like the look of the powerbook a lot. The ibook is nice, but it strikes me as cheap looking, which is fine but the price difference between the pbook and the ibook is small. By the time you take into account the HD, slower processor, and other missing options the price difference isn't great, and the ibook isn't aluminum :)

I also try to maximize resale on purchases like this. I figure I can hold interest in a powerbook for about a year before I feel the urge to upgrade. The 12" powerbook and any powerbook for that matter will hold its value a lot better than an ibook. This fact alone (for me) more than makes up for the increased initial investment.

Plus the lack of firewire (which is always nice), better videocard, faster bus speed, etc. It is like comparing a honda accord to a bmw 5series I guess, they both do the samething, get what you feel you can afford/justify.

OP
M

mikeparana@adel

I went with the 15inch and so should you.

well i went with the 15inch because it wasnt much more and if I was going to spend that type of money I wassnt goint to settle with a 12inch espcially since the 12inch iBook is almost as fast as it. The 15 is awesome, the screen is great the graphics card is awesome esspcially if you get the 128mb 9700. 15inch smokes all my friends PC notebooks, I laugh at theirs and smokes most PC desktops. Which is rediculas when you think about it.

OP
M

MoltenLava

If you think 15 inch might be too big for you, it probably is. I have both 12" and 15" in the household, and 12" is definitely my choice. 15" is nice on a desk, but the way I use laptop on my lap 15" is too big for me.

OP
N

nicholas

15" too big? You must be a relatively smaller guy. I'm 6 feet 145lbs and the 17" powerbook is barely enough to satisfy me. A 23" powerbook would fit the bill nicely though!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.