kensington locks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 15" C2D 2.2Ghz SR 2GB RAM 128MB VRAM 120GB HDD
hey there

first of all: am i the only one thinking that the position for the kensington lock on a macbook pro is extremely stupid? why is it not behind the ports (next to the dvi or something)??

anyways, the reason for this post is that i am considering to buy a kensington lock for the mbp. at the computer store i found one for 30 euros (like 40 dollars), with keys or combination (999).
at the gas station shop (?) they have one with keys for just 5 euros (7 dollars).

my question is: does it really matter if it cost me 5 euros or 30?
- if someone has planned to steal my mbp, he will be equipped to break even an expensive lock.
- an opportunist will not know the lock cost me only 5 euros and probably will move on to easier targets...

so, is the cheap one ok or is the 30 euro one really worth it?

Reaction score
Judging from every laptop I've had the weak point is usually where the lock mounts to the latop not the lock itself. Id someone came to steal the laptop they would show up with bolt cutters and cut the cable, IMHO the locks are good to prevent "snatch and grabs".... I'd think you would be fine with the cheaper lock.

Reaction score
As long as the 5 euro lock does what it is supposed to why wouldn't you go with it? I think your logic is correct, someone serious about getting your laptop will do so with either lock and a simple grab and go will be deterred simply by it being a hassle to snag yours. We had a situation similar to this happen at work, someone got passed security and walked out with 15+ laptops all taken off desks. Ironically all the desks have the locks so don't get lazy and elect not to use it after your purchase.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP : 2.4GHz : 2GB RAM : 256MB VRAM : 160GB HDD
It does seem too close to the USB port for my liking, but then it doesn't have to be locked while you're using it does it? The €5 one will be fine; most thieves will see a lock and move on, or maybe take a tug and then leave it. It's like houses with gates out front get burgled less than those without. Gates aren't much of a security feature, but it's like a psychological barrier. If they're determined enough then they'll find a way no matter what lock you put on.

The weak points are mostly a) where it attaches to the computer (I imagine that's stronger than the plastic cases on most/all other laptops) b) whatever the other end is attached to.

You do have to be careful though; all the locks I've seen that weren't specifically manufactured by Kensington have a different locking mechanism that won't work with the slot on the computer.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP l iPhone l iPod
the lock does block the usb port if the cable is going behind the computer. one thing that ive noticed with my kensington combo lock is that it isnt a tight fit against the computer. it jiggles around alot and seems to be causing wear and tear on the lock slot. just get a lock that includes spacers to make the connection tight.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.