I am confused about something. touch has no mail/sms?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.4 GHz intel core 2 duo MBP, iPhone 5, iPad 3
Ok so the new ipod touch has wi-fi and safari. I don't understand why they would not also add a mail and sms program. Can anyone fill me in on this one?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminum iMac 2.8GHz
I could see a mail app for synching or sending/receiving over wifi, but SMS? That belongs on a cell phone.

OP
KoDorSean
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.4 GHz intel core 2 duo MBP, iPhone 5, iPad 3
I could see a mail app for synching or sending/receiving over wifi, but SMS? That belongs on a cell phone.

True, what about some sort of IM program? ichat?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3
Will web based msn work on the safari of the iphone and ipod touch?
And accessing the net on the ipod touch. I understand that is free unlike on the iphone. Is that correct?

And there's always web based msn. Sure it's not mail but for I prefer gmail to apples mail app.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminum iMac 2.8GHz
True, what about some sort of IM program? ichat?
I'll be honest. I'd be pleasantly surprised if Apple provides the functionality to make communication apps/widgets on this and not just leave these functions to the iphone.

But I would definitely like to see a mail app, chat program and true document editing come to the touch. I won't hold my breath, though.

Reaction score
Yah, first thing I thought when I heard they have wi-fi was "does it have Mail".

That would have been awesome.

Reaction score
I'd half expect some hacks coming soon that would put chat and maybe email on the touch. I'm hearing that email may be more difficult than chat since it apparently involves rooting around the system more than a standard app. Dunno.

I'd also expect that Apple would take a more lenient stance regarding hacking the touch than the iPhone since touch hacks wouldn't effect revenues like unlocking or VoIP would on the iPhone.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" Powerbook G4, iPhone
I think they probably left the touch a little "feature lean" just to keep some distance between it and the phone. Not to mention the ability to add "amazing" new features to it at the next keynote.

I would guess you could still use web based email, right?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
I have one question:

Does it come mean the iPod Touch won't support games? (from what I have read, likely not, but I assume it would still do the web-based games created for the iPhone.)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15", 3.06 GHz, 4GB DDR3 SDRAM, 500GB SATA hard drive, 8gb iPhone
People need to understand iphone is more targetted towards business people..

Thus apps such as Stock, Map, Mail, Notes, Phone, SMS etc..

Ipod has always been about entertainment, music!

ipod Touch is focused towards people who want the next gen ipod, its a music player and music video player, ofcourse you can watch tv shows too

Due to the addition is wifi , safari was included and keeping in touch with the entertainment genre, youtube app was included too.

Though, because there is wifi and because there is space left in the main screen, i'm sure you can download apps in the future..Mail, Weather, Games etc

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
I can check my Gmail on Safari. That is all I really need. Even my ISP's mail is both WEB and POP based, so Safari will be fine.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
imac 2GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 1GM ram, 128mb vram, Macbook, iPhone 3G 8g
What I am trying to figure out is, that if you typed in youtube.com, would it give you a functioning page capable of displaying videos? Or did they add the youtube app. to make the touch capable of viewing youtube?

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
What I am trying to figure out is, that if you typed in youtube.com, would it give you a functioning page capable of displaying videos? Or did they add the youtube app. to make the touch capable of viewing youtube?

Good question as the iPhone does not as yet have Flash and most You Tube videos are still Flash. Maybe that is why they have that separate Application for You tube.

Reaction score
KoDor,

For AIM on the touch, I'm not sure but meebo.com might work.

Reaction score
flash and the iPhone

Good question as the iPhone does not as yet have Flash and most You Tube videos are still Flash. Maybe that is why they have that separate Application for You tube.

It is very unlikely that the iPhone will ever have flash enabled safari. don't qoute me on it but it is unlikely. This is because with Flash a programmer could easily create a flash app that allows voIP, IM, SMS or even calls to landlines/mobiles, such as the Google Talk flash app. :Angry:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
Without Bluetooth Apple has made it difficult for users to use the ipod Touch as a phone.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.