.Mac, a useful thing?

Reaction score
I want to be able to publish the websites and all easily publish, is .mac memebership good for that. So, I can upload my website or whatnot on that 10 gig of space?

Is anyone using this? is it good at all? Worth the money? I heard there are problems with e-mail service.

Thanks

Edit: i didn't put a smiley on the title...whatta...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Lenovo Z560 Hackintosh -:- '06 iMac -:- iPod Touch 2ndGen
I think it's too expensive for what it gives you, and I plan on cancelling mine - particularly as the recent enhancements require iLife '08.

Having said that, the iWeb publishing is as easy as banging your head on something, it's literally one click to publish. Publishing to traditional hosting is a bit more technical (although not impossible for non-techies), OTOH it's either free or much cheaper than .Mac.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Core Duo 20", iBook G4, iPhone 8GB :)
^^ Dude. You ever tried banging your head on something? Its really difficult. First you have to be in that whacked out state of mind...

.Mac is amazing. If it was half the price, it would have been just right though.

Reaction score
I want to be able to publish the websites and all easily publish, is .mac memebership good for that. So, I can upload my website or whatnot on that 10 gig of space?

Is anyone using this? is it good at all? Worth the money? I heard there are problems with e-mail service.

Thanks

A .mac account is very much worth the money especially when you consider all that it offers. At $99 a year that is only $8.25 a month, not an unreasonable price for what it offers and the ease of use. I have been hosting a podcast and a website for almost 2 years on .mac with not one problem.

Neo

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
white MB 2.16GHz 3GB 320GB 10.6.1
I pay $5.95/mo for hosting, and I need to run FTP and do all the technical stuff. Not that difficult, but $8.25/month is tempting, especially when I get the first two months free. I'm thinking of trying it...I saw an iWeb tutorial and I was astounded at how easy it made publishing look. No way it could be that easy! (?)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" Unibody MBP 2.4 Ghz C2D, 2 GB RAM, 250 GB HDD, 320 GB Time Machine HDD, 1 TB Ext Media Drive
I myself just purchased my first .Mac membership a few days ago. I have long thought about it, and became quite familiar with the possibilities.

Web hosting is NOT the only thing that it does. One of the biggest draws for me was the seamless backup. Syncing all of my calendars, address books, mail accounts and settings, photos, other Home folder contents, etc...it works great.

Then of course there is the e-mail hosting. One of the best parts of this are the e-mail aliases. Though not uncommon among service providers to offer multiple e-mail accounts per master account, this works a little differently. Create an e-mail alias for a specific purpose (such as [email protected] as an alias for [email protected]). All of the e-mail sent to myname.shopping STILL gets delivered to your myname inbox. If you ever start receiving spam addressed to myname.shopping, simply erase the alias and make a new one. Great idea that I plan on making tons of use for.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)
There is a 60-day free trial. Definitely do that before you pay.

If you do decide to do it, get the boxed signup kit; you can order it online for about $15 cheaper than it costs to sign up over the web. That goes for subscribers who are renewing, too.

Neo

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
white MB 2.16GHz 3GB 320GB 10.6.1
Nope, It's not bad but way to expensive. Get a godaddy web page with tons more storage.

Any other reason? My current host allows me 60 MB. MB! 10 GB is bigger than my last hard drive! I don't need a lot of storage.
And how much is the godaddy site/mo?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Duo White
I find .Mac useful. Reasons why are I use all its features. If a person using only one/two, then I could see it not be useful. Sure, $99 is a lot per year, then again take advantage of everything they offer. Ask yourself, what are you going to use?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24" iMac 3.06GHz 8GB of RAM 2TB HDD, 13" Aluminum MacBook 2.0GHz 4GB of RAM 500GB HDD
I bought a .mac account a few weeks ago and I love it. It could be cheaper but oh well.

M

MacHeadCase

For 10GB storage space, backup integration, email (and email aliases at will - I never get any spam so .Mac is doing something right..), making webpages easily and painlessly, etc. I think it's very worth it. I've had my account for 5 years now and I can't see the day where I won't renew it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP : 2.4GHz : 2GB RAM : 256MB VRAM : 160GB HDD
I've always said that .Mac is really only worth it if you have multiple Macs (for all the syncing features), but since the upgrade to 10GB storage and 100GB bandwidth, it actually also works out as a very cheap hosting package. I would have never thought of buying it before then, but for a short time after that announcement it went on my "must buy when student loan comes through and kid myself it's for my education/and or an early Xmas & birthday present" list (that list just got a new addition thanks to Wednesday's announcements... I think I'm up to £650 on that list now and Apple are supposed to be releasing the iPhone here sometime soon. New Mac, iPod, OS and phone all in less than 6 months? NOT COOL STEVE! Is there a Apple Buyers Anonymous? I have a problem!).

Now I'm not so sure; I was looking for a hosting package in the days leading up to that .Mac announcement for putting up an online portfolio/blog/file hosting etc but at the moment I've got a bit too much on my plate (and no work to put on it, or anything worthwhile to talk about). I'll probably end up subscribing at a later date.

Reaction score
I pay $5.95/mo for hosting, and I need to run FTP and do all the technical stuff. Not that difficult, but $8.25/month is tempting, especially when I get the first two months free. I'm thinking of trying it...I saw an iWeb tutorial and I was astounded at how easy it made publishing look. No way it could be that easy! (?)

Doesn't seem like it does it, but the actual fact it is. I send my podcast directly to my .mac account with a simple click on "send" and i send my changes to my website with a simple click on "send" in iWeb. Nothing to it... If you have things you want others to be able to download just open iDisk and drag and drop into your "Public" folder. That simple...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac Intel Core 2 Duo (Aluminum & Glass) 260 GB HD

Thanks

I'm curious myself. Does .Mac membership include a website URL that people can go to or is it basically just a storage space and I'd have to get a domain name from somewhere else?

Reaction score
From what i know about .mac accounts the people who have them enjoy them and love them BUT in my opinion...its a great idea i mean i love it and i want to get one my self...
i just dont think its worth it with money and with the current use i would get out of it

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 24" C2D 2.4 2GB; BlackBook C2D 2.16 1GB
From Apple.com:

By popular demand, .Mac now lets you use your own domain name when you publish from iWeb ’08. It’s an easy way to give your site or blog the ultimate personal touch.

I take this to mean you automatically get a domain w/ URL with your membership, but you can also use your own domain name if you already have one.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP - 24" white iMac - 16gb white iphone3G - 20gb iPod colour
From Apple.com:

By popular demand, .Mac now lets you use your own domain name when you publish from iWeb ’08. It’s an easy way to give your site or blog the ultimate personal touch.

I take this to mean you automatically get a domain w/ URL with your membership, but you can also use your own domain name if you already have one.

Somebody correct me if i'm wrong but you dont get a domain with your .mac membership. You get a url address with every site that you create in iweb
eg web.mac.com/your.mac username/your site name

with iweb 08 you can now publish direct to your own domain instead of publishing to a folder then FTP'ing that to your domain. I have done this for my business site and it works perfectly. The only problem I have is that I have also created a personal site and iweb also publishes this to my own domain. So when you pick the visit tab it takes me to my own domain address and doesnt show my private site, so I have to put the the default .mac address to view view it. Maybe I'm doing something wrong with itbut still works well.

cheers

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.