How is glossy screen on iMac? Quad core coming?

Reaction score
I already have a MacBook Pro but now have decided to sell my old Windows XP desktop and replace that with an iMac. I have wanted one for the last 3-4 months but held off with all the rumors of the new iMac.
Overall I'm very impressed with the new iMac and it was well worth the wait. My only issue is how are most people finding the glossy screen to be? I've used a laptop once and found the glossy screen hard to deal with but i was in an area with bright sunlight. This would be used in an area with no windows. I'm almost tempted to hold off for the next upgrade thinking that maybe if there's a lot of complaints there will be a choice of a glossy and non-glossy screen like on the MacBook Pro.
Also, is there anything on the market that can be either fit on the screen and removed as needed or even a cover that can be put onto the screen to help with the glossiness? I'd like to hear it's not a problem because I'd really like to go with it.
Also, what does Intel have on the roadmap? It seems I've heard there's a quad core desktop chip coming out late this year and a mobile quad core chip coming out early next year? I would imagine both the MacBook Pro and iMac could be seeing an update to that.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac, MBP
It's not a problem man. I don't know what all the fuss is about concerning glossy screens. The display is far better, much more vibrant.

I never understood why it took Apple so long to upgrade their screens on their laptops. The old TFT technology really did not complement the technology in the notebook itself. Heck Gateway had Active Matrix laptop screens over ten years ago.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
i7 iMac; 8gb DDR3 ram; ati mobility 4850; 1tb seagate harddrive @7200rpm
When I first looked at the apple website when they announced the new iMac, I was awe-stricken, as usual. I thought to myself, "man, apple impresses me once again."
Then on the same day I started to not like the new design, yes it was thinner, and yes, the all aluminum frame was nice, but I didn't like the black back, apple and screen border too much. I also thought to myself, "why would they have a glossy screen and wireless keyboard that's cropped?"

Well I finally went to local apple store to see the new iMac for myself. The glossy screen isn't near as reflective as I thought, and it didn't taint the viewing angles at all. So all in all ya I think the new iMac is a pretty decent upgrade, but to me, the 20" one looks weird compared to the 24" one.

Glossy screens on the macbooks tho? I think that's the most idiotic move ever.

I havn't heard on the quad-chip you're talking about tho.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac Intel Core 2 Duo (Aluminum & Glass) 260 GB HD
It's not a problem man. I don't know what all the fuss is about concerning glossy screens. The display is far better, much more vibrant.

I never understood why it took Apple so long to upgrade their screens on their laptops. The old TFT technology really did not complement the technology in the notebook itself. Heck Gateway had Active Matrix laptop screens over ten years ago.

I don't know what people are complaining about either. The Glossy screen makes images sharper and clear, better colours too. Frankly unless you have horrible lighting set up near the iMac you wont really notice much. I dont think I could go back to a standard matte type LCD monitor personally. I use one at work and its so dull looking in comparison.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24' Al_iMac 2.8GHz 4GB Ram 1TB HD, 15" PB 1.5GHz 1GB Ram 160GB HD, 2x30GB iPod, 2x Shuffle, Nano
I am typing on my new 24" glossy beast. It's awesome!! I too was a little skeptical because of all the trash talk about the glossy. Bah!! It's all crapola. Now I'm sure there are some professional graphics peeps out there who will gawk but I'm not one. I'm a regular iMac person who uses the internet, checks my mail, makes small movies, types documents, uses iPhoto like no other, fools around with Photoshop, listens to iTunes, plays games, the list goes on and on. I have been using a 15" Powerbook for three years now. Obviously this thing blows it out of the water for many reasons. However the screen is off the charts. I for one love it. When I buy a new Mac Book Pro it WILL have a glossy. Like trademark said above, go to a Mac store, check it out. That might alleviate any fears you have.

The quad-core question. Hmm. Tell you what. If they do make one within the next six months I'll be surprised. I figured that sense they just did this major re-design it will be awhile before another one of this magnitude is released. *crosses fingers* Don't worry about it. If your constantly waiting for the next big thing you'll never buy a new Mac. I bought my new iMac because it is the latest and greatest (iMac) out right now. You can wait for the quad-core. When you get your quad-core (hopefully a year+ from now) my mac will be old and slow. By comparison. Then a year later (lets say 3yr's from now) I'll be ready to purchase a new 8-core iMac which will make your seem like it's standing still. The cycle repeats. Don't beat yourself up. I'm not gonna lie. When they upgrade the iMac however minuet I'll be hurt, wondering if I should have waited. But for right now. I'm the king of the jungle baby...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 24" 2.4 gHz, 2 gb RAM
When I saw the glossy screen at the Apple Store I was very concerned. It really seemed to have a lot of reflection, and it almost put me off on buying one of the new iMacs. Then I thought I would make sure how it looked at home in the actual environment that I was going to use it in. I would be setting up the iMac in my den, and while there is a window and a light, but neither the winow nor the light reflect directly on the screen. So I took my daughter's macbook in there as sort of a test and concluded the glossy screen would not be a problem, and this turned out to be the case. I have the 24" iMac in the den, and I don't notice any glare on the screen at all. If you have not windows in the room, I don't think it will be an issue, unless you have a bright light directly opposite the screen.

Reaction score
I'd still like to see a matte option, although I have the feeling that given the whole 'Aluminium and Glass' thing, it just won't happen. Some people seem cool with the glossy display, but I personally don't like it. Why? Because it just seems like too much of a step backwards. I remember switching from a CRT monitor to an LCD matte one, and from a CRT telly to an LCD TV and being amazed that I didn't have to be worried about light through the window reflecting off the screen. To go back to those days? No thanks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac 2.4GHz
I really like the glossy screen. No reflection problems for me at all. In my opinion, most all of the issues you read about on the internet are way overblown. I think the vast majority of owners are experiencing zero problems and are quite happy with their machines.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 20" | 2.0Ghz Intel Core Duo 2 | 1GB Ram | 250GB HDD | ATi Radeon HD2400XT 128MB Video
Haven't had any problems with the glossy screen but my notebook ive had since April last year has one too - I think its a nicer, brighter display :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.