Should I install 802.11n enabler?

Reaction score
i have a C2D 2.16 MBP and a linksys b/g router. i was wondering if i should run the 802.11n enabler in my situation.

i am not going to get a "n" router anytime soon but was wondering if the update would help with my current connections. will it improve the connection speed/range with my wireless b/g router?

should i not install the update since i do not have a "n" router because it might cause problems with my b/g router?

thanks, and sorry if this questions been asked, i searched.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.16GHz C2D MacBook w/ 2GB RAM & 120GB HD. HTC Droid Incredible.
I would only install the "N" enabler if you are planning to use and "N" router.

OP
M
Reaction score
i have a C2D 2.16 MBP and a linksys b/g router. i was wondering if i should run the 802.11n enabler in my situation.

i am not going to get a "n" router anytime soon but was wondering if the update would help with my current connections. will it improve the connection speed/range with my wireless b/g router?

should i not install the update since i do not have a "n" router because it might cause problems with my b/g router/current setup? has anyone experienced problems using a wireless B/G routers after the update (like slower speeds, more frequent connection drops, etc.)?

im looking for people who have experienced my situation. C2D 2.16 MBP specifically or anyone who has done the 802.11n update and is still using a wireless B/G router.

thanks, and sorry if this questions been asked, i searched.

OP
M
Reaction score
yeah, basically i wanted to know if it will help better my current connection with my b/g router or cause more problems. thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
No I don't think it would since it only enables "N".

Any fixes/improvements for wireless would be released threw the software update. :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
You already posted this here.

Please take the time to read the rules since "cross-posting" is not allowed here.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP : 2.4GHz : 2GB RAM : 256MB VRAM : 160GB HDD
It won't improve your current connection, but I would get it anyway if only to get it out of the way. All new Wi-Fi products will soon be shipping with (draft at the least) "N" support, so it'll improve your speeds in the future.

Reaction score
Im sorry bit this is ... a ... well No the answer is NO.

N=N
B=B
G=G

OP
M
Reaction score
thanks for the replies.

so you are saying that enabling the capabilities of detecting n rage signals wont effect with detecting b or g signals? it thought by having n capabilities we should be able to detect older signals like g and b better due to the fact that it can detect signals better (i think they said 5x the range?). so having n capabilities should help with b/g signals correct? maybe i am looking at this wrong... please enlighten me.

thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
thanks for the replies.

so you are saying that enabling the capabilities of detecting n rage signals wont effect with detecting b or g signals? it thought by having n capabilities we should be able to detect older signals like g and b better due to the fact that it can detect signals better (i think they said 5x the range?). so having n capabilities should help with b/g signals correct? maybe i am looking at this wrong... please enlighten me.

thanks
You are looking at this wrong. This will not affect b/g ranges. Like iRock said,

N=N
G=G
B=B.

It can only detect N ranges up to 5x further because it is a newer technology. Its made to be discovered further. It will not help G/B/A ranges.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
If you enable 802.11n on your Mac, but only have a 802.11g router, there will be NO performance increase in terms of range or speed. You have to have a 802.11n router in order to experience any of the enhancements that come with the newer technology.

Now here's the kicker. There have been many reports of people experiencing a LOSS in range and speed after having enabled 802.11n but use it on a b/g router. So take that into consideration before you decide to do it just for kicks

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.