Ram memory....

J

Joeytpg

Guys, i have a question........i've heard that Macs run REALLY/extreamly well with a lot of memory ram......... i ask this because i've been a PC user all my live and just a week ago bought this pbook.. (it as the standard 256 ram stick) and it feels GOOD, but i can tell the slowness when i have more that 5 applications runing............

My PC has been working with 512 stick ram for like 2 years and just recently i've started to feel it's gotten "slow-ish"...... so you think i'll feel a better speed improvement from my mac with added memory?? (i'll be upgrading the pbook up to 768 ram......will it feel FAST??..... right now that's my plan (768 ram) cause i just spent my money on this machine and the ipod (15 gb) so maybe in 6 months o so i can get a 1gb stick but for now it's just 768......will it be ok?....FAST?.....i tend to use a lot of programs and windows altogether at the same time...so i want speed......HATE LAG!

can i get an opinion on this? :)

thanks!

OP
T

TylerMoney

I've got 768 mb ram on my powerbook, and it's pretty rockin' You should be grand with that.

However, I plan on getting a 1 mb stick when the price comes down...cause then it'll be super awesome

OP
J

Joeytpg

that's what i'm waiting......a price drop on the 1 stick......but for now it's just 768 for me.....so i wanted to know i was going to notice a GREAT improvement..... :)

i kow that with a 256 stick and a 512 stick (768) later when i buy the 1 gb stick...i'll take out the 256 and be left with 1.5 gb memory ram! THAT'S GOINT TO BE MIND BLOWING! :D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano
I had 512 and I upped it to 1gb in mine and it was definitely worth the upgrade.

My dad and uncle have identical eMac 1.25ghz except my dad has 1gb and my uncle has 512 ram.....I can't stand working on my uncles because it is so much slower than my dads

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G5 Dual 2GHz (June 2004), 2.5GB, Airport, black 5G iPod 30GB, white MacBook 2.0 2GB
More memory is always a good performance boost, for computer in general.
When it lacks of memory, the system uses the Hard Disk as "virtual memory", which is way slower than RAM.
So, the more RAM you have, the less virtual memory is needed, the faster your system response will be.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" 1.33 GHz PowerBook w/SuperDrive, 60GB HDD, 1.25G RAM.
TylerMoney said:
However, I plan on getting a 1 mb stick when the price comes down...cause then it'll be super awesome

I wouldn't mind one of those :D LOL

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G5 Dual 2GHz (June 2004), 2.5GB, Airport, black 5G iPod 30GB, white MacBook 2.0 2GB
Oh well, I think I still have some 1MB sticks, from my old Atari ST...
Want some?? :D

OP
C

Cloudane

Every Mac expert I've conversed with, has said "max out its memory". So yeah, I think it's a safe bet :)

I'm kinda skint after buying this Powerbook, so might only be a 256 upgrade (to 512) for me... I wonder if it's worth it, or better just to save up for a 512. I have a feeling I know the answer.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I love student discount (sig)
Avalon said:
Oh well, I think I still have some 1MB sticks, from my old Atari ST...
Want some?? :D

LOL :D :D :eek:

I used to have 256mb ram and when i put my extra 512 in (768 total) it rocked :D the speed difference was huge :D i think it was worth it :cool:

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.