Switching - iMac or MacBook Pro?

Reaction score
Hello all - this is my first post, though I have been lurking for a month or so now!

I am planning on buynig either a MacBook Pro or an iMac in October (reasons include the new OS and funding) and am trying to decide between the two.

Some history - I used to work on Macs years ago while studying Graphic Design and Photography, and working as a Graphic Designer - back in the day we used OS 8 or 9 - and quite frankly I HATED it. It just didn't have the features of Windows XP and they used to freeze up all the time.

Recently I bought a little HP laptop with Windows Vista on it to take on a holiday to New Zealand. I was really excited about using it - Vista looked so cool. Unfortunately the looks was where the coolness ended. I wont go on about it, but anyone who has used Vista will understand - it's virtually useless and VERY slow on anything less than the very latest hardware.

So I started looking into Macs and decided to give them another try. The ones I played with in the shops were very different to the crappy old ones I used to use, and I discovered all the benefits of colour management and ease of use for the creative fields.

(Oh some background on what I do - I'm primarily a website designer using Photoshop and Dreamweaver (it pays the bills, though getting a bit over it lately) and also a photographer. I shoot in RAW format and use Lightroom and Photoshop to edit my shots.)

Anyway the idea was to get a MacBook Pro to replace the crappy little Vista laptop - just as a trial really to see if I liked using the new Mac OS. I was planning on keeping my XP desktop as my main computer.

But in the last week or so I've been thinking - hmmmm - why not just go the whole hog and get an iMac to replace my desktop? I mean I am pretty sure I am going to like using the Mac and I'm gonna want to get a Mac desktop eventually anyway. And the new iMac's are pretty awesome looking!

Anyway, to help my in my decision, I just have a few questions:

1. Do MacBook Pro's come with the cables and connections required to connect a external LCD monitor, and do you have the same amount of colour/calibration adjustments if using a different brand (Acer 22" widescreen) monitor?

2. Is there much difference in processing power/speed between a 15.4" 2.2 MacBook Pro and a 24" 2.4 iMac? Would I really notice the difference on an iMac?

3. If I bought a MacBook Pro would I absolutely love it and end up using it all the time over my desktop PC? (subjective question - go nuts and convince me people!)

4. If I am used to working on a dual monitor setup (22" widescreen plus 17"), would the 24" iMac be enough screen real estate space to keep me happy, or would I need an additional monitor?

Basically I'm just looking for people's opinions. Any suggestions or reasons for me to go one over the other would be much appreciated!

Cheers,
Charlotte

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3GHz dual-core Intel Core i5 4GB 1333MHz 320GB / 60G iPod Touch
Well... I don't really now :p To me it all comes down to what you really want/need, and what you can afford.

What would I do if budget was not an issue? If I do not need to move from one place to the other to do my job, then I'd definitely pick the iMac. If otherwise, then I'd go for the Macbook Pro; either way, you'd have an absolutely beautiful, powerful and efficient piece of equipment.

Cheers ^^

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.2GHz MacBook Pro
as a photographer myself, I'd recomend getting an external display in addition to the built-in display if you're getting a macbook pro, or getting a mac pro rather than the imac. I have a macbook pro myself, and the screen is just not good enough to edit pictures on. I calibrated it several times, and it just doesn't show nearly enough details in the shadows and a lot of the more vivid colors. all you need to hook up another monitor is a dvi cable, which should come with the monitor. the imac, while I don't have extensive experience with, I have heard actually has issues when calibrated because the screen is actually too bright. again, I have not experienced this myself, so don't quote me on this.

I'd personally recommend going with the macbook pro. it's definitely fast enough to use as a desktop replacement, and if you use an external monitor you will have as much screen real-estate as a 24" imac. since getting my macbook pro I barely touch my PC, though this is mainly because my PC is a few years old and unsuitable for any photographic work.

also on another note, I'd recommend checking out aperture. it's similar to lightroom, but has a different (better in someways, but also more confusing) interface, and focuses a lot more on the DAM aspect of photography, while still allowing all the raw edits and whatnot that lightroom offers. I still use lightroom because it's faster and compatible with windows, though I'd probably switch to aperture if I could.

OP
C
Reaction score
jnev said:
I have a macbook pro myself, and the screen is just not good enough to edit pictures on. I calibrated it several times, and it just doesn't show nearly enough details in the shadows and a lot of the more vivid colors.

Do you have the matte or the glossy screen?

I heard that for photo editing, the matte screen is the best, because although it appears a bit more 'dull', it's actually more colour and contrast accurate?

I guess this means the iMac would have the same problem, because the screen only comes in glossy? I suppose there would be no point in getting one if that is the case?

I don't really use my current laptop much at all, I just have it because it comes in handy if I go away. I rarely use it otherwise, other than to play games on in ad breaks while watching TV lol.

The idea was to sell my current laptop and get a MacBook Pro, then hook it up my desktop monitor for most of the time just to see if I like using a Mac, while keeping my Windows PC there ready to use too. I am just unsure as to whether my current Acer LCD monitor is going to be able to be calibrated and do the Mac justice? Or will I need to get an Apple studio display?

That's one of the reasons I was thinking of just going all out and getting an iMac, all-in-one kind of thing.

I would like to check out Aperture, just to see what it's like. Might be a bit too much effort to move from Lightroom though, I have around 7000 photos in there at the moment.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.2GHz MacBook Pro
I have the matte screen, and you are correct; the matte screen portrays colors more accurately, while the glossy is more saturated so videos and pictures look better on it to the untrained eye.

as long as your acer monitor has a DVI input, it'll work just fine with the macbook pro. there is really no need to get a cinema display; you can get the same quality for half the price, just without the apple badge that makes the price double. I personally have a Dell 2005FPW 20" widescreen LCD, and it's great. I'd definitely recomend calibrating it however, you can buy a calibration device for under $100 now and if you're going to be printing your pictures it's really the only way to make sure the print looks the same as it did on your monitor.

if you already have everything in lightroom, don't even bother trying to import everything into aperture as it's just about impossible to do it completely. that's why I never switched to aperture. if you'd like to try it out however you can just copy some pictures over to another directory and import them into aperture.

Reaction score
my suggestion is:

buy the Macbook Pro if you need to be mobile.
if that is not the case buy the iMac.

it may sound too easy but in my opinion the decisive argument to your question is mobility. I honestly think that there isn't much difference in the performance aspects of both machines.

Hope I helped a little.

kuchiki

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP : 2.4GHz : 2GB RAM : 256MB VRAM : 160GB HDD
1. Do MacBook Pro's come with the cables and connections required to connect a external LCD monitor, and do you have the same amount of colour/calibration adjustments if using a different brand (Acer 22" widescreen) monitor?

2. Is there much difference in processing power/speed between a 15.4" 2.2 MacBook Pro and a 24" 2.4 iMac? Would I really notice the difference on an iMac?

3. If I bought a MacBook Pro would I absolutely love it and end up using it all the time over my desktop PC? (subjective question - go nuts and convince me people!)

4. If I am used to working on a dual monitor setup (22" widescreen plus 17"), would the 24" iMac be enough screen real estate space to keep me happy, or would I need an additional monitor?

Basically I'm just looking for people's opinions. Any suggestions or reasons for me to go one over the other would be much appreciated!

Cheers,
Charlotte

1) Yes. The MBP has a dual-link DVI port built in, and comes with a DVI to VGA converter so you can hook up any monitor/projector out of the box. The only thing you'll need is the actual DVI or VGA cable, that will come with/be attached to your monitor. The iMac needs separate adapters for either DVI or VGA output and as far as I know it's only single link.

And yes; traditionally the people who actually use colour calibration will have had a PowerMac/Mac Pro, so if it didn't work on 3rd party monitors it would be pretty worthless.

2) Not much at all; 200MHz in fact. I doubt you'd notice the difference at all until more processor intensive applications are introduced, and even then it would be minimal. Not a deal maker/breaker.

3) Yes; most likely. It seems to be the trend. Of all the people with Macs and Windows machines almost all of them use OS X for most things and perhaps just keep the PC as a games machine or media server for an Xbox or similar. I haven't heard from many people that have a Mac and a Windows box and use Windows predominantly and only use the Mac for... well, I don't know.

4) Don't know. You wouldn't need an additional monitor, but if you already have one it's probably worth buying the adapter to use it. Also with the iMac display being glossy only it would be nice to have a normal one too (better colour accuracy).

I think the only things that are gonna sway you one way or the other is:

- Price. Is the MacBook Pro worth the extra to you?
- The need for portability. Do you want to take your work with you?
- Screen type. Is the glossy display OK? Can you work on a 15" screen (with the option to add another one ofcourse, up to and probably above 30" because of the dual-link port), or do you just want one (and potentially 2) larger display(s)?

OP
C
Reaction score
Nice koala Levi!

Thanks for your reponses Levi, kuchiki and jnev - very helpful.

I think I might go into the Mac shop and check out the differences between the glossy and matte monitors in real life, because that will be the cincher for me. It would be a shame to get a nice big 24" iMac if I am going to be using a different monitor to edit my photos on! Although since colour calibration shouldn't be a problem, maybe that is the best option.

The mobility of the laptop would be nice, but I don't really *need* it. The reasoning for getting it was so I could try out the new Mac OS and see if I like it, while keeping my Windows machine in case I didn't.

But from the research I've done and the opinions and stories I have heard since then, I don't think I will be using my PC much at all after I get a Mac!

If only the iMac's came in matte screen!!!

Still, leaning towards an iMac+extra monitor right now. Will keep you guys updated, thanks again!

Reaction score
About the glossy and matte screen debate...
I think you shouldn't base your decision only on that argument.
There are many skin vendors that sell skins to make a glossy display matte. Unfortunately I only now a German site but you may want to check this out.
http://www.schutzfolien24.de/
There probably are many US vendors also. Maybe someone knows a good online vendor and could post a link.

kuchiki

Reaction score
listen bro i did the same thing you did i got a macbook pro and kept my windows desktop..this allows you to try out the mac with out having to install boot camp for anything you really want...probably the better choice in my opinion its worked out for me really well... so i'd suggest it besides the macbook pro is better than the i mac... you get the portability of the laptop ....so yeah...

Reaction score
I'm going to jump in this forum also. Not to steal any fire from your questions charlottereeves, but I thought some of my questions may help you in your decisions. I'm having the same dilemma, rather I should purchase the macbook pro or the IMac.

Pertaining to the post above me. What exactly makes the Macbook Pro a better computer than the Imac. As for the price difference of the Macbook pro you can purchase the 24" 2.8 Core 2 Extreme Imac. Omit the idea of portability because that is a no brainier.

For a question that is directed more for myself, I rarely use a computer on a portable basis. The times that I did use a computer away from home were to either listen to music or web browse. I was considering purchasing the Imac 24" 2.8 core 2 Extreme and taking the around 300 dollar price difference and purchasing the Ipod touch. The touch, being slimmer and more portable, will satisfy my portable needs. Is there anything else that should lure me into getting the Macbook Pro instead?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.2GHz MacBook Pro
I'm going to jump in this forum also. Not to steal any fire from your questions charlottereeves, but I thought some of my questions may help you in your decisions. I'm having the same dilemma, rather I should purchase the macbook pro or the IMac.

Pertaining to the post above me. What exactly makes the Macbook Pro a better computer than the Imac. As for the price difference of the Macbook pro you can purchase the 24" 2.8 Core 2 Extreme Imac. Omit the idea of portability because that is a no brainier.

For a question that is directed more for myself, I rarely use a computer on a portable basis. The times that I did use a computer away from home were to either listen to music or web browse. I was considering purchasing the Imac 24" 2.8 core 2 Extreme and taking the around 300 dollar price difference and purchasing the Ipod touch. The touch, being slimmer and more portable, will satisfy my portable needs. Is there anything else that should lure me into getting the Macbook Pro instead?

if you honestly believe that the mbp would be lying on your desk most of the time, then get the imac. only get the mbp if you know that you need portability. there's no way for me to convince you of something without knowing how and where you're going to be using it. if you think that the ipod touch can satisfy your portable needs, then you've answered your own question.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP SR 2.2GHz
I've got a MBP, (15"), and i can tell you now that even the 17" HD MBP will not have enough screen real estate for you do any photo stuff properly. Screen real estate is a real killer for laptop photo editing. Go for the largest screen iMac you can afford.

Reaction score
FSU MAC...ummm well I'd have to agree with the other guy here if you don't need the portability don't go for it i mean you can save money and get the mbp...
i mean you paying extra for technically two things as far as i think i know
a better graphics card for gaming AND portability... I just woke up from my nap and I am way to tired to search it up on apple so yeah....search both of the specs out how much each can take for ram and all that and see if they are the same
but yeah main reasons is I got mine was for editing ...A LITTLE BIT OF GAMING except i kept my desktop for that so i think I am going to avoid that
sorry for the typos i am extremely tired

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.