major issues with macbook

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
White MacBook, 2Ghz C2D, 2GB ram
Hey everyone;

A few days ago I spilled some water on my macbook. After drying it out, there was only one problem; not recognizing the battery. Today it got seriously worse. When I boot up my computer, the screen flickers once, and then goes very dark. I have to use a flashlight in order to see what is going on. Once OSX starts loading, it will go right to sleep, and has trouble waking up, and never fully loads the OS. The funny thing, however, is that XP seems to boot fine, and the monitor eventually will go to full brightness.
My conclusion is that something broke or screwed up a switch that tells the MB whether it is open or closed, causing it to constantly fall asleep.
Does anyone have insight on this? I love my macbook, but I will be forced to buy a PC if I cant get this resolved. I know the apple care doesnt cover spills, but it seems odd that everything else on the computer is working except for the monitor....

Reaction score
It isn't odd at all, water and electronics are not good. You may have really bad permanent damage, or not. Shut it down, yank the battery. Go here:
http://ifixit.com
Crack it open as far as you are comfortable. Clean it, dry it, use rubbing alcohol and q-tips. Make sure it is absolutely dry and try again. Best of luck!

OP
RawfodoG
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
what I find interesting is the fact that It has gotten progressively worse... Now I dont claim to be a techno wizard or anything, but its my understanding that any damage that would be done would have when I first turned it on after the accident?

I did let it dry for about 24 hours, with a fan blowing on it the whole time and tilted such that the water would run out.

Reaction score
Where abouts was the water spilled? Closest to screen or closest to the battery? Right in the middle? The inverter could be bad (no backlight) or the logic board. Sounds like a bad logic board to me (unfortunately). The water could have caused one component on the board to fail which can cause a chain reaction over time.

Reaction score
what I find interesting is the fact that It has gotten progressively worse... Now I dont claim to be a techno wizard or anything, but its my understanding that any damage that would be done would have when I first turned it on after the accident?

I did let it dry for about 24 hours, with a fan blowing on it the whole time and tilted such that the water would run out.

You should have let it dry out .., for like 24 hours at least before you tried to turn it on again...

OP
RawfodoG
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The water was spilled on the lower right side of the keyboard.
But since the computer was able to eventually run XP fine, doesnt that mean the logic board is in OK shape?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.