Ibook G4 MAJOR harddrive problem

Reaction score
ok so here goes

my computer starts running very slow. then it starts to just freeze all the time. so i just restart it. then i decide to do a full restore on the thing. that works for a while. it seems fine. then boom. freezes. and wont reboot. just stayed frozen on the grey apple screen with the thing spinning under it. afterthat. i tryed to install osx again. this time. i open up the disk utility. erase everything. partition. and do some first aid. when i try to repair the disk. it says this. Repair Attempted on 2 Volumes. 1 HFS volume repaired. 1 volume could not be repaired. and now whenever i try to install the os it says installation failed or something like that. i dont know what to do. it sounds as if my hardrive is failing. but if there is anything i can do please help me out.
thanks'

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Quad 2.8GHz Mac Pro, Edge iPhone
You have to give people more than 3 hours to respond first off.
I doubt you will get any help now.
Honestly, I have no clue on how to fix your HD issue if that's what it is. Do you have that 3rd disc the iBook came with? It should be a hardware profiler or something disc specifically for troubleshooting your iBook for problems like this.
If it's a HD issue, the best thing to do is buy a new HD and install it. Reformatting and doing that sort of thing might fix the problem temporarily but it will never fix it completely.
-Peace

OP
T
Reaction score
i could have sworn my ibook only came with 2 cds. buti could be wrong. anyway i will look for that.

sorry. i just havent been without my mac for a long time and its really upsetting me that i may not have a computer for a long time if this is something i cannot fix

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" G3 ibook, 15" 1.67ghz powerbook, 15" 800mhz DVI powerbook
hard drive probably

Did you notice that when it was running slowly you could hear the hard drive being accessed? It would sound like lots of little clicks or taps that would not be continuous and just a bit louder than the fan. To some it sounds like crunching or grinding too. My guess is that the hard drive is going and you should get it replaced/replace it yourself.

There is some information out there about low-level reformatting and hard drive testing, but this will probably tell you that there are lots of bad sectors (maybe a bad read head) or maybe that sections can't be used. It all still points to a new HD, which should run about $1/Gb or less on eBay. Some places will give you a free diagnosis if you repair with them, so if you are going to have someone else do the job, you might as well have them inspect it first and diagnose it as such before swapping things out. At least they are liable for the damage.

OP
T
Reaction score
well i ran some tests and i found out that it was indeed a failed harddrive. so i guess im going to end up replacing it myself. which is fine i guess. if anyone has any tips for replacing the HD please let me know

thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
See Sig...
If you don't know about this guide it may help when you try to replace it:
http://www.ifixit.com/Guide/Mac/

Another tip... don't buy a Toshiba drive. Get a Seagate or a WD or a Hitachi. a 7200rpm drive will give you a massive performance boost over the original 4200rpm drive, at the expense of some battery life. Of course, any modern drive is going to be faster than the drive that came with it... but the 7.2s are the fastest things around at the moment, for laptops at least.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.