Window focus issues - Help !

Reaction score
This is driving me nuts. Since I purchased my MBP back in June, I keep having weird window focus issues. For instance, if I have Firefox open and a Finder window open WITH focus. I then click on a image in my pictures folder. Preview opens up just fine, WITH focus. I then close or quit Preview, not I see the Finder window. When I click on the Finder window, it disappears and Firefox get focus. I then have to option-tab or use Expose to get the Finder window back!! This happens with many other programs also. I havent been able to narrow it down on what it is. Another example. I have a Finder window open, then I launch an application. If the application requires a internet connection, Little Snitch pops up a message box asking me if I want to allow it. When I allow it, the Finder window gets focus rather than the Application I launched.

Ive tried to find patterns. Is it a certain application open that does this, no. Is it the order I open the application, I dont think so.

Anyone have this issue before? Any ideas why this is happening?

My (2) big pet peeves about OSX. This window focus issue and Network shares getting disconnected in Sleep mode.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
I'm with ya on this one.

It's not very often that I have or want two windows open and have them resized so that I can view them both at the same time.

But have recently noticed when I do, let's say Textedit and Mail - the one I am wanting to get info from goes opaque so that I can hardly see it. What's the scoop to having both these windows in view with out having one of them fade out?

Is this just the natural state of things to live with, or have I (we) changed some setting I haven't found or maybe installed some app that does this?

And I thought this would be a part of the reason Safari won't adjust to fullscreen mode without having to drag it there - so you could have a 2nd app up on the screen simultaneously. Only you can't, because whichever you have as active, the other fades from view.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Lenovo Z560 Hackintosh -:- '06 iMac -:- iPod Touch 2ndGen
That doesn't sound right to me. Are you actually QUITTING Preview, or just closing the window? There's a difference, and that may be what's happening. Closing the Preview window leaves Preview running as with focus.

I'm with you on the network shares though, it's broken, and Windows has been doing it right for years. Leopard is supposed to sort this out though.

OP
techmonkey
Reaction score
That doesn't sound right to me. Are you actually QUITTING Preview, or just closing the window? There's a difference, and that may be what's happening. Closing the Preview window leaves Preview running as with focus..

It doesnt matter what I do, quit or close.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Lenovo Z560 Hackintosh -:- '06 iMac -:- iPod Touch 2ndGen
Hmm, I'm not sure in that case, sorry. I've tried on mine an I definitely don't get that behaviour, so something is certainly wrong. See if anyone else can help as daylight reaches the New World! :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.