BootCamp opens Mac's to Virus'?

Reaction score
If I install bootcamp on my macbook pro and use it only for gaming. Some internet gaming but mostly non-internet rpb gaming. Will that Open my Mac's OS to virus'?

What I mean is, If I install boot camp, then windows, then games and play those games, when I go back to my macs os, can I get virus' while surfing the net on my mac?

Also, If I can get virus' on my mac when I install everything, when I delete windows, and uninstall bootcamp... will my mac still be open to virus'?

Any responses will be appreciated and I look forward to finding out more info on this matter.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
Running Windows on your Mac is just like running Windows on any other computer. So you have to take the same precautions, which means anti-virus and firewall programs, along with spyware/adware utilities.

However, the Windows virus will not affect OS X.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Core Duo 20", iBook G4, iPhone 8GB :)
Even if you copy a virus with a pen drive to Mac OS X, it will not get affected cause it does not recognise the file type. And while using Windows in bootcamp, your Mac partition is safe, as Windows can't read HFS. I have some folders copied from a windows drive with viruses in them. Dont' affect the system.

A virus is a non-interfering being on OS X.

However, if you plan on using HFS writing tools like Macdrive, then a virus infection in bootcamp might be able to affect your files and such...

Reaction score
You don't know that. You have absolutely no way of knowing that.
Actually...Kash is correct. Ever tried opening an .exe file in OS X? it won't open since it can't open then the virus will not run, hence OS X is immune.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13 inch Macbook Pro Retina, 2.7ghz, 128gb SSD
Actually...Kash is correct. Ever tried opening an .exe file in OS X? it won't open since it can't open then the virus will not run, hence OS X is immune.

Yep, .exe files are Windows format and are not associated with Mac OS X what so ever. Just like how .dmg files are not associated with any Windows system

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.16GHz C2D MacBook w/ 2GB RAM & 120GB HD. HTC Droid Incredible.
You don't know that. You have absolutely no way of knowing that.

It will not affect OS X because:

1) Windows and OS X are on different partitions.
2) Windows viruses do not affect OS X.

OP
T
Reaction score
Thanks for the help

Thank you guys for the help...i really appreciate all the feedback.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.