KVM Switch for G5 and PC.. which is the best set up and how do you eject CDs/DVDs

Reaction score
Hello,

I couldn't seem to find the answers I was looking for in doing a search so here's my questions. Forgive me if they are silly but I'm not exactly a hardware genius: :)

1. I have a G5 and Dell PC and am getting a KVM switch. Is it better to use the Mac keyboard or the PC keyboard? Are there advantages/disadvantages to using one over the other?

2. If I don't use the Mac keyboard, how do I eject CDs on the Mac? The G5 doesn't have an eject button on the tower so is trashing the CD the only other way to eject it?

Thanks in advance.

-JG

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Studio, M1 Max, 32 GB RAM, 2 TB SSD
Without answering either question, I would like to add to your list, as I considered this exact course of action some time ago. Finding a decent DVI-D KVM is pretty tough. They are quite expensive and not readily available. Be careful of the ones from Belkin, which have HORRID reviews. I eventually gave up on the idea since my monitor had dual inputs. So, I run my Mac on the DVI-D input and my PC on the RGB input.

That is the "M" part of KVM. For the rest, I just keep two keyboards and two mice on my desktop. A bit of a nuisance, but you get used to it pretty quickly.

OP
J
Reaction score
Well, seeing that I have a PC, G5 and a Macbook Pro laptop (the laptop is my own personal computer, the PC and G5 belong to my work), my desk is pretty cluttered with mice, keyboards, dual monitors on my PC and my MAC monitor, etc. so I'd really like to try to eliminate some of it. Only having one keyboard and mouse and my dual monitors would really be a help. :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.