Looking to Purchase a New Monitor - Advice?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Quad 2.8GHz Mac Pro, Edge iPhone
I know this should probably be in the other hardware and peripherals. Seeing it's going to be for my Mac Pro, I figured I might get more help here. (The only monitor discussion didn't help me nor did the thread starter get much help in the other forum category.)
I am looking to purchase a 20" LCD. Money wise I have a $250 range but I can go higher if needed. I was thinking either the Samsung 206BW or a similar LG. Does anyone have either brand or would recommend something else?
I spent 2 days googling and I will do some research at Fry's tonight but I don't want to miss something if Fry's doesn't carry it.
It could also be helpful if you tell me what you use, why you purchased it, and how much it cost. It could me a starting basis of what to look at.
Right now I just do a lot of browsing and stuff that a $100 could handle. I plan on turing the Mac Pro into a sort of media center (so my TV will be a second monitor) but I will be working on my portfolio again and should start shooting again so I will be doing a lot of Photoshop/ Illustrator work. I already have a Colorvision Spyder, now I need a decent monitor.
Please Help!
-Peace

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Studio, M1 Max, 32 GB RAM, 2 TB SSD
I *strongly* recommend Viewsonic's VP line. They are excellent. Fast, clear, crisp, bright, high contrast ratio - I got one with my PowerMac and absolutely love it. I have the VP2130b by the way.

Reaction score
Anybody have an idea when the Cinema displays will be updated? They're getting long in the tooth. A new 30 incher with HDCP and HDMI would be nice.

OP
bryphotoguy
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I have no clue what HDCP is but I thought it was a Windows Vista Certification. Also HDMI? What computer has an HDMI connection? I thought Macs only had DVI....
Thanks for the bump though.-Peace

OP
bryphotoguy
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I *strongly* recommend Viewsonic's VP line. They are excellent. Fast, clear, crisp, bright, high contrast ratio - I got one with my PowerMac and absolutely love it. I have the VP2130b by the way.

Thanks for the heads up on the VP monitors. I really like the 20.1" version. I really want a widescreen monitor though. It's too bad it's 4:3 otherwise I would buy one. It's too bad all their other 20" monitors have integrated speakers.
What do the rest of you use?
-Peace

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.