• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

I'm Switching..Back to Linux.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Intel Core solo Mac mini 1.5GHz, Headless Powerbook G4 500MHz
Well I've had a good run with Mac, bought my Mini May '06 and iBook afterwards. I have dabbled in cocoa and released a short lived application. I did a youtube video or two and wrote various reports for school. Now I decided I need to go back to Linux. I miss it. I was a C/C++/Perl programmer in linux and I feel that is what I am ment to be. I will be making a thread for selling my Mac Mini here shortly
I will still hang around the forum some.
Bye for now,
Colton Booth

T

todd51

Well you gave it a good run, not everyone likes Macs, it's understandable.

Reaction score
I think Mac is more like set computer but you are looking for opensource OS and system then go Linux yes. Its all good and well...but not interested in Mini sorry :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
macbook 2.16ghz,2 gigs ram, 120gigs--ipod nano red 4 gig--ipod vid 30 gig black-- rip macbook
linux is weird dude, ive tried it. is there any way i can see linux better, like a comparison to pc or sumthin

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black macbook 2.16ghz 2GB Ram 160GB hdd | 8Gb Ipod Nano
you can alway run linux on a mac with either bootcamp or parallels. also remember linux is based in unix just like mac.

Reaction score
I understand how you feel. I used Linux for five years before coming over to Mac. If something happened where my Mac died and I could not get another (money) I would go back to Linux immediately. At least until I could afford another Mac. Which distro are you going to use?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sooper Fast!
you can alway run linux on a mac with either bootcamp or parallels. also remember linux is based in unix just like OS X.

Apple computers, Macs, are based on Intel processors.

Reaction score
Apple computers, Macs, are based on Intel processors.

You are aware of the difference between hardware and software yeah? Because what you posted had nothing to do with the topic.

Well, also people who call Windows systems PC, stop it! Every computer is PC...Mac's a PC as well!...Only their OS are different.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sooper Fast!
You are aware of the difference between hardware and software yeah? Because what you posted had nothing to do with the topic.

Well, also people who call Windows systems PC, stop it! Every computer is PC...Mac's a PC as well!...Only their OS are different.

apparently, you didn't see his quote that I edited.

Reaction score
apparently, you didn't see his quote that I edited.

I thought he was just pointing out the fact that both OSX and Linux are Unix OSes...whatelese is there that I missed?

However, you out of nowhere mentioned that Mac's are intel...I am confused.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" 2014 MacBook Pro, i7 2.5Ghz, 16GB RAM, 512GB SSD; iPad 3, iPhone 6
Good luck man, Linux is hard to leave behind (harder than XP IMO) so I understand. I run SuSE in Parallels and fiddle about with things now and again.

I do love the rock solid stability OS X gives me though, mainly because I have no desire to tinker with it. Linux is too tinkerable and I am not skilled enough to prevent major carnage when I tinker... ;D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Studio, M1 Max, 32 GB RAM, 2 TB SSD
Good luck. Macs are a great environment but so is Linux. It really depends on what you want to be doing. For what you want to be doing, perhaps Linux is better. We are glad to joined us here at Mac Forums and feel free to remain an active member of the community!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sooper Fast!
Original quote

you can alway run linux on a mac with either bootcamp or parallels. also remember linux is based in unix just like mac.

I thought he was just pointing out the fact that both OSX and Linux are Unix OSes...whatelese is there that I missed?

However, you out of nowhere mentioned that Mac's are intel...I am confused.

mac is a type of computer made by Apple. I was just pointing out that "linux is based in unix just like" OS X.

If we correct them now, they will know better later on.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black macbook 2.16ghz 2GB Ram 160GB hdd | 8Gb Ipod Nano
I was just pointing out that "linux is based in unix just like" OS X

I was the one who said that :/

OP
macmini3399
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Intel Core solo Mac mini 1.5GHz, Headless Powerbook G4 500MHz
I understand how you feel. I used Linux for five years before coming over to Mac. If something happened where my Mac died and I could not get another (money) I would go back to Linux immediately. At least until I could afford another Mac. Which distro are you going to use?
I'm Going to use my distro of choice, Slackware(Though it has changed since I used it last, 10.1)

T

todd51

I used Ubuntu for a while when it first came out. I really liked it, everything ran smoother than XP. The only thing was that I couldn't get my wireless card to work, even though by now I'm sure there's more than enough support for almost every piece of hardware out there.

I also had trouble installing files through the terminal. I couldn't figure out the filing system either.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook(W) 2GHz, 80GB HD, 1G RAM, Windows XP
yea, my linux friend was telling me how the new ubuntu release has wireless support.

at least you aren't going back to xp! :p but if you have an intel mac mini, why not run linux on that instead of selling it?

Reaction score
I'm Going to use my distro of choice, Slackware(Though it has changed since I used it last, 10.1)

I can understand why you would want to switch back then. Quite a difference between Slack and Mac.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
I do love the rock solid stability OS X gives me though, mainly because I have no desire to tinker with it. Linux is too tinkerable and I am not skilled enough to prevent major carnage when I tinker... ;D

That makes two.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.