Windows Mobile and Mac

Reaction score
Dear Fourms,
I am interested in purchasing a Windows Mobile device, as I am very tired of what Palm has been putting out and don't have Cingy for the iPhone, and was wondering if anybody is a Windows Mobile user and could help me out.

Now, I know that "Windows" is a naughty word here on the forums, but I would like us to put that all behind us for now and see if someone can give me a hand.

I would like to think that there is someone out there that couldn't swing either the service of the money for what we all really want (the iPhone silly) and resorted to Windows Mobile. I know there has to be someone. Come on! Come out from behind the curtain.

To those of you, not unlike myself I must ask: How do you sync your WM divice with your Mac? Do you use:
  • The Missing Sync
  • Parallels and the entire Windows operating system

If the WM to Mac syncers would be willing to tell me how they connect their devices, which software they use, and their overall impressions, I would really appreciate it.

I have parallels in the drawer beside me but haven't tried it. I don't know if it is the best option but I have also read "so-so" things about The Missing Sync. What is the best way to go?

Thanks for the time, and I look foward to the responses. Come on guys!

-B

P.S. This is what we all really want anyway: http://lifehacker.com/software/hack-attack/turn-your-windows-mobile-phone-into-an-iphone-269055.php

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBAir
I sync my Moto Q through missing sync and it works very well. The only issue is you have to make sure your contact info is formatted properly and in the right fields. If not they tend to disappear. I had to go through my address book and correct the imperfections. Thats not a missing sync issue though. Just the way WM handles entries.

OP
B
Reaction score
rshames,
So, you have had good luck with TMS and it was well worth the money? How do you handle file installation with TMS? I have been wanting to play around with some iPhone interfaces and thereby install a lot of .cab and .exe files and I am not sure if it is capable of that. Also, what information did TMS come with to allow you to know how to properly format contacts, and correct other potential problems? Thanks!

To all others, I eageraly await your responses as well. The more infor the better. "...and then Pinky, we can conquer the world!"

-Billbeme

http://youtube.com/watch?v=iJPFSNu_QNs&mode=related&search=

OP
B
Reaction score
Again, is there any other way to sync a Mac and Windows Mobile Device?

Thanks,
-Bill

Reaction score
Installing exe files from OS X is not an option as OS X doesn't understand them. There is a utility which can be installed on your Windows Mobile device call WM5Storage. Once this utility is activated OS X will see your WM device as removable drive. This will allow you copy files onto the device.

However I one of the main reasons I have Windows installed on my Mac is my WM based phone.

OP
B
Reaction score
Thanks! That was very helpful. Your comments prompted a few additional questions.

Through what means did you install Windows onto your Mac, does the Windows machine recognize files on the Mac from the Windows desktop? For example, if in the Windows desktop using activesync or something of that nature, does Windows see pictures, and music on the Mac?

I have Parallels sitting in the drawer next to me, but haven't tried it yet. Did you install Bootcamp, Parallels, or another program that allows for Windows to run on your Mac?

Is running Windows a much better/more stable alternative to trying to run a PocketMac, or Missing Sync Program? Has anyone else had any luck with this method?

I look foward to the responses! Thanks!

-Bill

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.