• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

Video Editing on MacBook

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 24" C2D 2.4 2GB; BlackBook C2D 2.16 1GB
I am in the market for a new Mac. Among the more demanding tasks, I would like to be able to efficiently transfer video from a video camera to the Mac and edit in iMovie, and also use EyeTV to record video to transfer to an iPod.

Would a MacBook suffice (not really interested in a MacBook Pro) or do I need to go with an iMac?

Thanks in advance.

Great forums!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Core Duo 20", iBook G4, iPhone 8GB :)
Transferring movies from a videocam to iMovie is flawless (with a firewire cable). As for your EyeTV thing I have no experience.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBookAir5,2:10.13.6-iMac18,3:10.13.6-iPhone9,3:11.4.1
Elgato EyeTV 250 works perfectly on my C2D 2.16GHz MacBook. It does it's stuff while I surf the web. I edit content captured with it in iMovie 08 and send it off to my iPod with no problems. No kernel panics, no restarts and very few beachballs so far.
-Dave

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.