• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

Slow Render in FCP 5... Please Help.

Reaction score
hi,

when i first started editing, my first software was FCP 4.5, loved it. Whenever i used to render things, it was fast but ever since i installed the new FCP 5.1.4 on my new G5, Rendering takes forever even for a small 5 to 10 secs clip, i don't know why but if anyone can help me with it, i will really appreciate. May be i am doing something wrong but a proper from A to Z help would be awesome.

Just to let you know that i have the G5 Dual 2 gig pc with 4GB ram. HD is the one which came with it, its 250GB. Using FCP 5.1.4 on Tiger 10.4.10.

Thanks in Advance.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro, 8GB o' RAM, 4.5 TB o' disc space, OS Ecks 10.6.7, etc
How many check marks do you have enabled under your render menu? The more the longer in many cases.

OP
A
Reaction score
while setting up the software, i didn't change anything in it, so its at default settings. On the rendering control, FILTERS, FRAME Blending for speed and motion blur is checked and also the frame rate and resolution is at 100%. is that what you asked me?

one thing i forgot to mention, the graphic card on my mac is 64MB.. will that effect the rendering process as well?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
No, I was asking about this:

fcp.png

The more checked items, the longer it can take to render. However I don't think that's your problem. Are you trying to do anything crazy with resizing/keyframes/rotation and filters? The more stuff you do to a video clip, the longer it will take to render. The Motion Blur tab is probably the biggest offender.

Also, I recommend not rendering audio unless you absolutely have to. I've noticed that if you render audio, FCP sometimes screws things up big time and audio will not be where it's supposed to be, even though it looks like it is. The only way to undo it is to fish through the folders on your computer and delete the audio render files.

OP
A
Reaction score
Oh ic what you are saying. well on that tab i have NEEDS RENDER and FOR PLAYBACK checked only but whenever i render the file i usually click on the Remder All tab and then select BOTH and that takes a long time. Anyway to make that fast even thought when i click on RENDER ALL and then select BOTH????

Thanks again in advance and sorry for posting my reply late, my interenet was disconnected.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
When you select "Both" that means it is rendering audio and video, though audio will rarely need rendering. I really don't know what else could be causing the problems. Try registering over at the DV Info forums at http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/ and ask in their Final Cut Pro section or whatever they call it. You'll likely (hopefully) get some informative answers.

OP
A
Reaction score
Thank you so much Joe for your help... i will try that site which you told me but also i just bought a Quad G5 2.5 gig with a descent ram and 256mb graphic card, i am gonna install FCS2 on it and then lets see what happens.

But thank you so much.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.