Who upgraded to a 120GB HDD?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook CoreDuo
and how many of you go "I could have gotten by with teh 80GB"? I'm trying to decided what HDD to upgrade to. I need to run bootcamp/windows now so I had to temporarily move some video and music files (ok, not "some" more like "a crap load") so that I wouldn't be running super low on my HDD.

I'm deciding between 80 or 120 GB toshiba drives as well as a 120 GB Seagate drive. Theres also a 160 GB Western Digital drive, but I'm not sure about that because I've never heard of WD before. My budget is also about $100. So what would everyone suggest? I use my computer for a lot of video and music and some car datalogging now (hence bootcamp).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D, 2Ghz, 2 GB RAM, 120 GB HD, ipod nano 8GB, 500GB MyBook
I got my black Macbook with a 120 GB HD and filled it to about 80% full within a week of having it. I bought a WD 500 GB external hard drive just to back up all my CD's. But, I am a DJ and need to have my music stored as .wav files, so each CD takes up about 700 MB. If you are just saving your music as .mp3 or itunes music files or whatever, 120 GB may be plenty for your needs. It depends how much quality you want in your videos and music.

Reaction score
Mine came with the 160GB drive. Its at 87 free right now but I am anal so I dont like loosing memory. I am thinking about buying the simple tech drives from best buy. $129 for 500 GB.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
White Macbook, 2.16GHz Core 2 Duo, 2GB RAM
If you decide to buy an internal or external HD, go with either Seagate (5-year warranty) or Western Digital (3-year warranty).

I ordered an upgraded 160GB HD with my Macbook but only received a 120GB HD. I got my money back after talking to Apple, and I now realize that the 120GB is actually fine for me. I do some design work and have lots of movies on my HD as well. I have about 55 GB left (and about 15GB of the original 120GB is taken up by Apple's osx). I moved most of my older movies to the external drive I have, and keep all frequently-used files on my computer's internal HD.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2007 iMac 10.6.8 | 2009 MacBook uni 10.6.8 | 2010 MBA 10.8.5 |
I upgraded from 80 to 160 (I think it's a Western Digital) at an authorized reseller. Wanted to ensure I had plenty of space for the years to come!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3G Black Macbook 2.16ghz, 2gb, 160gb
yeah i bought black book with a 160gb in it - has been great (considering up until a week ago the file server i use had a 100gb in it)

bought my macbook in june and have 83gb left (but 10/15 of that is my itunes folder that hasnt been moved back to the file server yet)

i remember the first pc i built myself had a 10gb and a 5gb hard drive....i thought that was incredible since the 286 i had before that had something like 300mb or something

mmm, those were the days, when a power switch was an actual lever on the front of the pc

OP
MBasile
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook CoreDuo
I remember our second PC ("custom" built) had 5GB and that was just friggin awesome.

Well, I guess I'll go with the WD 160GB since its the same price as the Segate 120GB. How often do HDD's really need to be repaired under warranty? I don't know if I've even had a laptop last three years without every other part crapping out before the HDD

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.