Playing torrent files.

Reaction score
How do torrent files work?

I was on one torrent site and downloaded a file, and the extension was ".torrent". I downloaded a couple different torrent clients, one being Azureus. I THINK it was that one that switched the torrent to a ws.pdtv.xvid-remax.avi file. (I'm not sure because I had downloaded a few different programs, and it was really late at night!)

How can I play that ws.pdtv.xvid-remax.avi file?

THEN I downloaded another one, and it downloaded as a bunch of .rar files (without me having to even use Azureus, like, it never just downloaded as a .torrent). StuffitExpander won't do anything with the .rar files.

How can I play those?!

Is torrent supposed to be THIS complicated?!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.16GHz C2D MacBook w/ 2GB RAM & 120GB HD. HTC Droid Incredible.
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
ibook g4, imac 2ghz c2d, mbp 2.4ghz c2d - 10.5.1
basically a torrent file is a link to download the main file (what ever it may be).

you drag and drop or open the torrent file using the Torrenting program you are using. uTorrent (has good reviews) or for OS X (transmission)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D, 2Ghz, 2 GB RAM, 120 GB HD, ipod nano 8GB, 500GB MyBook
Here's something I don't understand about Torrents:

Does the torrent file download from the same place no matter what torrent program you are using? For example, I use Bittorrent (I think). Say there are more users worldwide of Transmission. Would I be downloading faster if I used Transmission, since there are more people using it? Or do all the programs go to the same "place" to download the file?

I don't really care about the user interface or anything, just the efficiency of the download.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Here's something I don't understand about Torrents:

Does the torrent file download from the same place no matter what torrent program you are using? For example, I use Bittorrent (I think). Say there are more users worldwide of Transmission. Would I be downloading faster if I used Transmission, since there are more people using it? Or do all the programs go to the same "place" to download the file?

I don't really care about the user interface or anything, just the efficiency of the download.
It doesn't matter. Your bittorrent client downloads from all other clients as well.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D, 2Ghz, 2 GB RAM, 120 GB HD, ipod nano 8GB, 500GB MyBook
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Reaction score
Be careful as some torrents block certain torrent clients. Azureus gets lots of negative comments on the Mac. However I use it on my MacBook without any issues. This is one of the more popular torrent clients and isn't generally blocked.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook(W) 2GHz, 80GB HD, 1G RAM, Windows XP
the clients access the file, not the other clients... so what client anyone else has is irrelevant.

OP
D
Reaction score
ok, so once i get azureus to download the files, how to I actually play the video?! I've downloaded a few different torrents, and they always turn out as really obscure file formats!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook(W) 2GHz, 80GB HD, 1G RAM, Windows XP
it depends on the file, not all torrents are the same file. if it is just a video (avi, mp4, mpg... ect) than quicktime should play them fine. what kind of file formats are you getting?

OP
D
Reaction score
it depends on the file, not all torrents are the same file. if it is just a video (avi, mp4, mpg... ect) than quicktime should play them fine. what kind of file formats are you getting?

well the last one i tried to play was an xvid .avi file. i think it may have just been a messed up torrent, because I tried a few different things that probably should have played it and they didn't...

I downloaded a special xvid thingy...
I don't even remember what it was cuz I downloaded a BUNCH of stuff that night, and it was really late
lol

OP
D
Reaction score
ok it worked.
i think i already downloaded something like that though. and when i tried to play the .avi file it said it wasn't a movie file???

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.