iTunes question

Reaction score
Hope this is posted in the right place.

I am a recent mac convert with an iMac I purchased several months ago. Its serves as my family computer and we have been very happy with it.

My question is with multiple accounts within OSX. I added my wife an account today and when she logged in iTunes asked her to accept it's user agreement and her iTunes was fresh with no music in it.

Will I have to transfer files to her iTunes as I did when first switching from my previous PC to the iMac?

Will this count as an additional computer towards my limit of 5(?) that can be synced with my iPod and songs purchased from iTunes?

Thanks for the help!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.83 MacBook 2GB RAM
What you could try is going to the iTunes file menu and adding or importing the existing iTunes music folder from the original account manually. If it won't let you do this because the music is in a different user folder then you could try transferring the main iTunes music folder from the original user folder to the public folder. Then maybe all users could access the music by importing the library from the public folder. Just a thought.

I don't have a clue about authorisation though sorry.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Lenovo Z560 Hackintosh -:- '06 iMac -:- iPod Touch 2ndGen
I *think* iTunes authorises computers, not accounts. It certainly SAYS "computer" so I assume it means that. To share music, just move it to the Public folder as Craig says, and import it to each user's library. You'll need to remove the tracks from the existing library and re-import.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP CD 1.83/2ghz/7200 100g + Mini 2ghz C2D 2gb + Mini 1.42ghz G4 + PM 7200/120 + Newton OMP
...or more easily, just change her iTunes preferences to point to your account's iTunes folder. Unfortunately, anything she adds won't automatically show up in your Library (and visa-versa). If Apple ever decides (hope hope) to add watch folders to iTunes, then perhaps this drawback would disappear...

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.